Restarting -> stop job for user running!

Prevent the “stop job” that takes ages.

Any filesystem can be corrupt, however, if the right parts of a btrfs filesystem become corrupt it is often unrecoverable. This isn’t a bug per se, it is simply the nature of the filesystem.

Recently, btrfs has started keeping multiple copies of the metadata by default which can help but it isn’t perfect.

Conversely, there are other types of file system issues that btrfs is capable of self-healing. Hard power-offs are definitely dangerous for btrfs though.

It depends on where your priorities are and what you backup strategy is.

1 Like

Yes. Determine what process is not stopping, research into why that is and then resolve the problem.

Seriously, in pretty sure I linked it to him a few weeks ago as well.

Definitely not going diving to find it though.

1 Like

I believe this is a rule of thumb for absolutely ANY file system and ANY operating system.

It does not happen all the time… but occasionaly. What made me ask here it happened 2 or 3 times in a row!

But I am glad it did because I now have the ALT SysReq REISUB! It will definitly save me from just powering off the machine. (especially after I luckily noticed how fast doing only the R+E keys)

Nope. ext4 is infinitely more stable to this failures by nature. Which doesn’t mean you don’t need to backup your data - you always should do that.

1 Like

Let me call it it is a good habit! At least to be sure your work is saved!
I remember in the good old days I was challenging my friends to unplug my PC (Linux), reboot, unplug while they are working on it on whatever, and so on. They were surprised that it just works!

This is a rule of thumb no matter what.

Removing “quiet splash” from your GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= in
/etc/default/grub could help you diagnose as well. Then update grub sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Just diagnose? Maybe it was an accidental thing for me, or because I left a few apps running.) chromium, Dolphin, Konsole, maybe kate!
Well, I do not prefer playing with Grub!

Using SysRq is all fine and dandy when it works. But, there are many times when you also lose keyboard input so then it doesn’t work. This does happen to those of us that use mechanical keyboards with RGB lighting that have their own firmware onboard. :anguished:

Well, I know it can happen. It actually happened. Just let me hope that using the power button will be OK as it did luckily.

Ha, for real. I’ve had it happen too many times to count, so I have to keep an old keyboard around just for that. It happens especially when I update/rebuild my keyboard drivers (ckb-next) it’s even mentioned on their git page lol

1 Like

You mean if I plugged in another USB or a Bluetooth keyboard to the laptop it will work?
So, we are safe hopefully.

Ya it happens to me and if i had a reset button on this desktop that is what i would normally do even though I maybe shouldn’t. So I’m only left with holding the powerbutton down or pull the plug or shut off the power bar. Pick your poison …one of them may destroy your fs! :rofl:

Edit: Done it many times myself!

1 Like

I did a few times actually. That poison was very tasty and nutritive (till now).
But you don’t guarantee it all the time.
Hopefully BTRFS will develop to be bullet proof.

Just curious as usual.
I think there maybe a way to create a shortcut (ALT+Fn) to do ALT SysRq REISUB?
UPDATE:
I found it. Settings → custom shortcuts.
Hopefully this link maybe of help. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.