Removed dracut, cannot boot now

Well, now I did it! I was seeing conflicting versions of dracut installed in Octopi so I removed it and rebooted. Now I can only boot into my UEFI. How do I fix that? lol this is embarrassing, thanks in advance

You need to arch-chroot to your system via your USB stick and install a initramfs tool what you want.

2 Likes

dracut is what creates the boot images.

You need to reinstall dracut and also the EOS automation package for it.

If you are using systemd-boot that is kernel-install-for-dracut otherwise it is eos-dracut

1 Like

Well, I think it’s Systemd but I’m guessing lol

I’ll give it a whirl and see what happens. Thanks all! :slight_smile:

OK need a little more guidance on this. I’m in arch-chroot and have the EFI and OS partitions mounted. How do I figure out if I need kernel-install-for-dracut or eos-dracut?

Are you using systemd-boot or Grub?

I don’t know lol how do I tell?

What does ls /efi show inside the chroot?

3 folders. The first one is a really long string of numbers and letters. second is EFI. third is loader

You are using systemd-boot.

Yahtzee! Side trivia: which of those things in that folder helped you determine itwas systemd-boot?

In the meantime, gonna finish getting this fixed lol! TY! :slight_smile:

Well, first of all, you wouldn’t have /efi at all if you were using grub.

Beyond that, the loader directory is from systemd-boot and the long string of characters is from kernel-install which is part of systemd-boot.

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks for the tip! :slight_smile:

I have ran yay -Sy dracut kernel-install-for-dracut

Then I ran dracut-rebuild

Anything else I need to do before rebooting?

You should run reinstall-kernels just be safe.

Well, it doesn’t appear that was quite enough. I’m still only getting the boot entry for my UEFI BIOS.

Can you share the full output from reinstall-kernels in the chroot?

There’s no output. It just completes and returns to the root@EndeavourOS /] # terminal prompt

What does cat /etc/kernel-install-for-dracut.conf show?

lol nothing that isn’t commented out. I’ll grab a pic with my phone really quick, one sec.