Reinstall EndeavourOS with BTRFS

As always, for new things which you don’t know much about yet, I strongly recommend testing it in a virtual machine (VBox for example).
That way, you cannot break anything, can easily roll back, and you can experiment with every btrfs feature in a safe environment.

3 Likes

I will start over with GNOME :innocent:

No worry about time to configure stuff :grin:

1 Like

Please note: If you’re planing on using Timeshift for making snapshots later on make sure to set up your subvolumes correctly.

Timeshift’s BTRFS snapshots are supported only on BTRFS systems having an Ubuntu-type subvolume layout (with @ and @home subvolumes).

4 Likes

I am a newbie , so newbie question

If I use EOS installer to create Btrfs partitions and install EOS without doing anything in your guide will timeshift work ??
I don’t want auto snaps . I like doing it manually . Or should I follow your guide ?

Edit : I am too lazy to copy paste . Just wanna do an install with Btrfs and don’t wanna leave Endeavour

Yes!

Timeshift needs the btrfs partition to be set up in a certain way; it needs the top level subvolumes named @ and @home.

Calamares (the EOS installer) will set this up automatically if you choose a single partition (no separate home at this stage) and set up as following

• Mount point → /
  • File system → btrfs

You can always add other devices later on or mount an existing ext4 home partition to /home for example.

2 Likes

To make sure I got this right

I have a 500GB hdd
can i create a 500MB fat32 partition mounted at /boot/efi and a 400GB partition with Btrfs ( encrypted ) and mounted at / and install EOS in it ?

Yes, that’ll work just fine.

But note: You won’t have any btrfs-compression on hdd and your root snapshots will be unnecessarily large because of the pkg cache being part of it. This can sometimes even be GB’s. You’ll also have to create your own swap partition or swap-file and activate it also. You won’t be able to boot into old working snapshots if something goes wrong, …

You could of course just follow the guide and (1) not install timeshift-autosnap or (2) remove it afterwards or (3) edit its conf file to stop the system from taking a snapshot automatically when updating; everything else would be taken care of. :wink:

Pleas don’t misinterpret this as pushing you to following the guide. It’s just things you’ll probably want later on and it’s so much easier and faster doing it during first install. I’m good either way … :grin:

2 Likes

The cache won’t be a problem and I won’t use swap . So I will proceed . Thank You @2000

Edit : Everything went well :partying_face: :partying_face:

1 Like

@2000

Can I setup booting into old snapshot from grub menu now i.e. after installing with btrfs ?

Yes just install grub-btrfs. Grub-btrfs creates grub boot entries for your snapshots.

Note: This will probably not happen automatically; but you opted for manual snapshots anyway as far as I recall, so also just update grub manually after making a snapshot.

1 Like

Thank you very much @2000

1 Like

This link doesn’t seem to work anymore.

@Gary
You can now install EndeavourOS with btrfs and set up for snapshots using btrfs-assistant and snapper-support. Other methods are to use snapper, snap-pac and grub-btrfs with btrfs-assistant but more manual set up. You can also use timeshift i think with btrfs but btrfs-assistant is quite good in comparison.

3 Likes

Ah okay, thank you