Regarding going back to windows 10 permanently from dual boot endeavorOS

So i installed EOS using dual boot and installed it one of the partitions using manage partitions and for some reason i want to go back to windows permanently

So i wanted to ask that if go back to windows uninstalling EOS will partitions go back to the way they were originally or do i have do live with the partitions i made for EOS?

Please help me on going back to my original Partitions i’d be really happy if you guys tell me the solution for it

Thank You in advance

There is no such thing as “unistalling” in this case.

If you want to go back to windows only, you would need to delete the EOS partition(s) and then expand the Windows partition.

As always, before messing around with your disk and partitions make sure you have a backup of your data.

I think @dalto has answered your question.
But just out of curiosity I will highly appreciate if you answer me:

• what made you try Linux and EndeavourOS in particular?
  • why do you want to go back? Something wrong with Linux/EndeavourOS?
  • How long you tried EndeavourOS, any other distros?

I am just curious as I have been on Linux since 2000 and never looked back, and I do not count myself a techie by any means. I am just a simple just-a-user.

Wish you good luck.

6 Likes

Could you please enlighten me to on how to delete those EOS partitions?

The thing is i have only allocated 60gb to EOS and i want to inc that space so i was thinking on going back to windows and then reinstalling EOS with more space and partition

and as for going back to windows…i think linux doesnt support all the apps like windows does i think? i am not sure?

use a liveISO(USB stick) and remove the EndeavorOS partition with the software gparted. after that you log into windows and enlarge it.

I hope you have a windows recovery USB/DVD to possibly restore the bootloader if something goes wrong!

1 Like

you can use the EndeavourOS live ISO and gparted to remove the EndeavourOS partitions and expand the windows partition, or your data partition. (no guaranty on dataloss :wink: )

the ,most easy way would be to remove the EndeavourOS partitions using windows tool.
If you are using EFI and it is enabled indeed … because if you are on legacy CSM Bios using MBR to store bootloader you will need some more to be able to boot windows after removing EndeavourOS …

1 Like

I see, so you are not really leaving us. Good news.

Not really.
Mostly and generally anything you can do on windoze (that’s what Linuxers call it), you can do on Linux.
Some applications are released for both and more.
Some others have “alternatives”
That is do not say there is no Microsoft Office in Linux, yes… there is not. But there is an alternative and it is called LibreOffice, the same and even better for word processing, spreadsheets… it can create and read M$ (another name for Microsoft), LibreOffice can create, edit and read M$ Office documents.
Music, movies, editing those, music players, Adobe Photoshop… you name it… you can do it and the same format Windoze users can read, and you can read and edit files from Windoze users.

Just tell me what Windoze apps you are looking for in Linux and I can help hopefully.
I will be glad to help in this.

Again, I say I am on Linux since 2000 and never looked back.
I am now on a 10 years old laptop, using the latest Linux OS and software, which is impossible to do the same under windoze. It is working as brand new, perfect in everything.

Keep in touch.

2 Likes

I switched 100% Linux also for my work. All I can say is that none of the proprietary programs are necessary for 99% of use cases (of course that number is highly subjective :grin:). Adobe Illustrator, use inkscape, Photoshop, use gimp, ms office, libre office, chrome, pff firefox, bam!

The only use case for windows I can understand is for games that don’t run on Linux or proton and lutris, or specific professional software needed at work. Or perhaps if you really like it. But so much spying, bloat, ads and updates and reboots. Thanks God I am out of that ecosystem, same with Mac. It used to be decent when I used snow leopard, and then went downhill release after release.

1 Like

This one is a little confusing since you said you want to go back to Windows permanently, but then want more space for EOS.

*ensure you have a Windows recovery disk/usb to restore bootloader just in case

If you want to go back to Windows permanently:

1. Boot into Windows
  2. Open Disk Manager
  3. Delete EOS Partition
  4. Expand Windows Partition.

If you want to increase EOS partition size

1. Boot into Windows
  2. Open Disk Manager
  3. Shrink Windows Partition
  • You can do it with gparted, but due to Windows shenanigans I’ve had better luck changing shrinking Windows partitions from within Windows
  1. Since you’re already in Disk Manger expand EOS Partition
  • Or, shutdown Windows boot into EOS or LiveDisk, open gparted and expand EOS Partition
  1. Done

However, if you’re partitions are not next to each other it will be a little more risky moving things around. As always ensure you have a backup of any important data.

2 Likes

Yes, I believe a "normal’ home user or even office user will find all what he needs and more in Linux. Unless - as you said - very specific software.

I am not a gamer, but generally I believe a user can find many games under Linux. Same applies, don’t say I need xyz game under Linux, but mostly he will find “alternative” game with a different name. I can’t say much as I am not experienced with games at all.

This is a surprise for my humble knowledge! I believe Apple software is mainly BSD, what can go wrong with it?

By the way I tried the Mac OS in 2000 when I was fed up and decided to ditch windoze.
I went to an Apple shop, asked them to let me use a desktop for sometime thinking to buy.
To test it and its performance, I created a folder, selected MP3s from another folder and simultaneously Play/copydelete/cut/paste/play/delete… to the other folder …etc. To my surprise it crashed :rofl:

So, I thought there must be something more reliable (mission critical OS) and searched till I came to distrowatch website, studdied what is Linux… what distros… etc… then since then I am on Linux and never looked back (honestly had dual boot with windoze for about 2 years till I felt OK with Linux), since then I have only one OS on my machine. (guess which!)

And yes, I can call Linux in general (my standards), a mission critical OS. No viruses and malware, no antivirus even!
I tried and let the Linux on my desktop run, while using it intensively, office, spreadsheets, video, audio, editing both, browsing… etc. without ever rebooting for 35 days and it worked smoothly as if just booted! Impossible with windoze as far as my experience… or even my kids’ experience till today!

Probably too much OT here, could become it’s own thread, too much to rant about :rofl:

Sorry, much perhaps, apologies to OP, but not too much as I was just hoping to let OP know a bit more about the beauty of Linux!

I apologise again to all! Sorry.

It would be nice first of all to see the exiting partition layout.

sudo fdisk -l

Here it Goes

I installed EOS to try it out by creating manual partitions and loved using EOS in dual boot and i wanted to go back to windows permanently for a while

So i booted into windows,deleted my partitions and removed endeavour os using cmd and when i went to merge the unallocated space i wasnt able to merge it with any partition this has messes up my plan to go back to EOS

Can guys please help me in merging partitons and why they arent merging? Is it something like once installing linux we wont be able to merge that space anywhere? I even tried 3 party apps like AOEMI but to of no use

Please send help

if you are new to the linux world then i would request you to use someother newbie friendly linux.
assuming you did not like this advise, just install EOS again and tell it to use the entire disk.
during the installation, you will be provided with variety of partition scheme choices.
good luck.

Without any kind of error messages it is hard for us to tell why they aren’t merging.

Can you share the output of sudo parted -l from a linux live ISO?

With all my due respect I don’t agree!
I do not count myself that knowledgable about Linux still after distrohopping for a year I found EndeavourOS and the community more than perfect.

It installs seamlessly, runs smoothly, update easily. You install once and forget about it (mostly)

Here I could sort out a problem of an app in just 1 min. (ONLY ONE MINUTE) I had 4 days with the developers and didn’t sort it out.

I myself heared it, find yourself another distro, I wish I could find another as easy and smooth as EndeavourOS and the community. Do you know something like here?

I deleted, resized, merged and splitted linux & windows partitions in gparted dozens of times over the years :grin: More probably has to do with your current partitioning scheme, follow ricklinux’s or dalto’s suggestion above to show us the current layout.

1 Like

Well… if I were you, I would try to find first the Windows license and keep it aside.
Download Windows ISO or if you have a copy
Boot live EndeavourOS
Use the partitioning app
Reboot
Install Windows
(backup any data first of all of course)
Maybe some other experienced users have something better. But this is what I would do if I am in your place (according to my humble knowledge and “inexperience”)