Recommended EndevourOS System Maintenance

Looking at man paccache:

-k, --keep
Specify how many versions of each package are kept in the cache directory, default is 3.

I would interpret paccache -rk1 as only keeping one version of each package. The formulation in the Wiki looks “misleading” a bit. To me at least.

I run regularly paccache -rk 2 and I am left with two versions of each package in the cache. The latest one and the one before.

Much nicer!

There is not much reason to use -Syy or -Syyu on Arch/EOS.

A single y is sufficient. -Sy or -Syu

The double y was more common on Manjaro where changing branches and mirrors made it safer.

2 Likes

Thank You for the clarification. I’ve updated my bash history file.

1 Like

Thank you! I never knew this. I was taught “-Syyu” and that’s what I’ve used all these years!

1 Like

I usually often clear the entire package cache. I haven’t really needed a package downgrade yet.

I’ve read this article

and I have cleaned the cache, I recovered some free space, but not so much.
is there something else that I could delete to recover free space? log files or something else?

One nice little program to find places where disk has lots of data is: ncdu.
Then commands like

ncdu -q ~
 ncdu -q /

might reveal those problem spots.

7 Likes

my home/.cache is really big
in your opinion is it safe to delete all the files in it?

Yes. Usually browsers have lots of stuff there. But they will be regenerated if they need that.

1 Like

Sorry for the intrusion, what does it show you:

sudo paccache -d

?

now I have completely cleaned the pacman cache

with paccache -d I got:
no candidate packages found for pruning

1 Like

Don’t worry then your system is clean.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#Cleaning_the_package_cache

What does this do?

paccache -d indicates how many megs or gigs of cache you have on your system making it heavy to boot and reboot.

For a better explanation, the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#Cleaning_the_package_cache

1 Like

As far as I know, having a large pacman cache shouldn’t effect the booting process. It just uses a lot of disk space if you keep a large number of older packages around. It can also cause you to run out of space if your root partition is on the smaller size.

2 Likes

I did this from the link above that @cipolla posted

[dad@archlinux ~]$ sudo ls /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ | wc -l
[sudo] password for dad:

Then i did

[dad@archlinux ~]$ du -sh /var/cache/pacman/pkg/
1.5G /var/cache/pacman/pkg/

I can safely remove 1.5G?

It is safe to remove it but there is some value in keeping at least a couple of older package versions around. If something goes wrong with an update being able to rollback is sometimes useful in an emergency.

I would consider something like:

paccache -rk3

This keeps 3 versions of all your packages and deletes anything older. You can do less if you are tight on disk space.

3 Likes

No doubt about it, you are right, I meant that everything gets denser or heavier … badly explained on my part.
Thank you for clearing up my mistakes.

1 Like

Aaah yes, I’m not close to running out of space on this nvme, well not yet anyhow lol.