Rebuilt PC now grub doesn't show up in bios

I went from an Intel system to an amd system and kept my dual boot install. Windows boots fine, but, grub does not show up in BIOS. I can boot into endeavour using the live environment supergrub2. I have tried reinstalling and reconfiguring grub from within the system to no avail. I’m sure this is an easy fix, but, I’m stumped. Halp!:roll_eyes:

In my experience, with every change of hardware a reinstall follows.

Assuming it’s an EFI system, make sure linux’s presence is known (i.e. Boot Entry).

EFI or not, Windows will always be recognized, even without a boot entry.

Boot and make sure efibootmgr is installed, then try:

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=endeavour --recheck && sudo update-grub

Imho no need to reinstall OS after CPU swap, Linux handles this really good.
Try to play with rEFInd:
https://gnu-linux.org/how-to-permanently-add-linux-entry-in-uefi-menu.html

@woodrowwsmith You could try a Windows solution. Download and install the free version of Easy UEFI from Major Geeks. The free version will allow you to look at and edit your UEFI partition files. So if Windows is the first in the list you can move the endeavouros grub up with the arrow key so it is first in the list.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/easyuefi.html

Grub-install did it. I would rather keep my install thankyou. I have exactly the system I want setup how I want. Thanks for the quick reply.

1 Like

I signed in to windows to make sure it recognized the install, but, otherwise I don’t use it.

I used rEFInd for a long time and I like it, but, it confuses me a little.

I understand what your saying. When you install grub it controls the boot for both Windows and what ever Linux you are using. So when the computer boots, grub has to be what it boots from UEFI firmware. If Windows is listed first it won’t boot to grub. Easy UEFI free is just an easy tool to move the grub bootloader into the first position so when you boot the computer it loads grub as the bootloader otherwise it’s going to load Windows. This happens a lot on Windows 10 dual boot where Windows decides to boot because it’s first in the list. So if grub is in fact installed properly you just need to move it to the top of the list in Easy Uefi.

The problem was grub wasn’t in the order at all. I had to run the targeted command grub-install provided above to get efibootmgr to.add it. So your solution wouldn’t work. Even then it is easy enough to select what I want to boot in uefi BIOS. I had built a new system and kept my old hard drives so the motherboard didn’t see anything but windows because it was expected to be there. Efibootmgr added both entries.

1 Like

Glad you got got grub installed finally then. I assumed you had it installed and it just wasn’t coming up because it was in the wrong order. :slightly_smiling_face: