Rebuilding AUR packages

Hi guys!

I recently got a little confused with aur packages. My zoom installation wouldn’t boot so I decided to search up my problem on the internet. I found out that I need to check what to rebuild after update by typing command “checkrebuild”. It showed smth included zoom.

But sadly I forgot what to do after “checkrebuild” command. Can someone pls remind me how to rebuild aur packages proper way?

Add --rebuild to the yay command and when it asks if you want to cleanbuild packages, answer “A”

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

When I use yay, it always asks me if I want to clean build. Is this not normal?

That is the default I believe. However, that changes depending on your settings.

Also, I don’t use yay anymore but I don’t think you get that menu if it thinks the package is up-to-date already.

1 Like

Makes sense. So, I just found rebuild-detector thanks to @sammiev. :pray:
Another way the rebuilds can be done is to just reinstall while making sure to select “A” for “All” when it asks if you want to clean build.

Example:

checkrebuild

foreign	emote
foreign	gimp-devel-noconflict
foreign	python-manimpango
foreign	xnviewmp-system-libs

yay -S emote gimp-devel-noconflict python-manimpango xnviewmp-system-libs
==> Packages to cleanBuild?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==> A

checkrebuild

Of course, this will take varying amounts of time depending on how many packages you have and the size of packages that need to be rebuilt. So, I guess people can do them one-by-one depending on how much time they have available.

EDIT: Running checkrebuild again shows me gimp and xnviewmp again. Maybe I need to reboot/logout? Will find out later.

Think I just found out why:

But also, maybe not because gimp definitely gets built as it alone took about 80% of the rebuild time for the packages I reinstalled/rebuilt. About 15 minutes total.

Note: According to the information on the GitHub page, it kinda seems like you may not need to rebuild certain packages? But I’m not sure.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.