Reboot issue after clean install I3

I’m on a hybrid laptop with Intel onboard & Nvidia discrete.
During installation I have not selected the Nvidia driver.
This results in nouveau time outs during (re)boot and takes “forever”.
After having run nvidia-installer-dkms -b, the (re)boot process goes better, but still takes too long; about 90 seconds.
I have gathered journalctl -r output of the reboot prosess in this file and hope somebody can point me in the direction of a solution.

Activation via systemd failed for unit ‘dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service’: Refusing activation, D-Bus is shutting down.

Did you tried ?

systemctl restart systemd-logind

What is this dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service for anyway?

Issuing

systemctl restart systemd-logind

and subsequent reboot does not help.

if you imply that dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service is not part of the standard I3 installation, then I might have to look deeper, because I have installed I3 while keeping my /home partition from an earlier installation (KDE) intact. Not so wsie?

Sorry, I was just asking what it actually does exactly? I wasn’t implying anything. I know it’s for networkmanager.

No need to be sorry! I just interpreted your remark about this service as maybe it’s a service that shouldn’t be there in my setup and maybe it’s a leftover from an earlier installation because I didn’t format my home directory (partiiton) during installation of I3.
I have searched (grepped) in /home and do not find any conspicuous reference to this service.

D-Bus is a message bus system, on Xfce the file org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher.service is at /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/

There is a tool to use to debug D-Bus called d-feet.

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/any/d-feet/

I don’t know if our i3 environment uses already the variable for gnome, if not you could set it up :

env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME gnome-control-center

It supposes to be vanilla then I’m on Xfce. @joekamprad would help you more about i3.

I am using EOS i3 (without re-install, just got it from the source). That’s what I have:

% echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
i3
1 Like

could you give the result of ?

gnome-control-center

It’s launching the Gnome Control Center. Is it what was supposed to happen?

1 Like

so you have it installed by default on i3.
just need to seutp environment then would be interesting to test d-feet

env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME gnome-control-center

As I said though,I didn’t reinstall my system. I was using gnome control center before for the gnome-keyring, so I may have set it before.

1 Like
[eljejer@spectre ~]$ echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
i3
[eljejer@spectre ~]$
[eljejer@spectre ~]$ gnome-control-center
bash: gnome-control-center: command not found
[eljejer@spectre ~]$

It needs to be installed manually…

sudo pacman -S gnome-control-center

1 Like

So we agree it’s vanilla i3 and it’s necessary to install it…
I don’t know i3, I installed once for test but prefer my Xfce…

But it seems if with this setup environment you could use GTK App…
Maybe need lxappearance also !!

At first sight, d-feet does not report errors when inspecting org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher on my system

1 Like

To see if NetworkManager works with other networks and know what is enable exactly could you give the result of :
It seems that i3 has often issue between NetworkManager and nm-applet maybe could be useful to see on this side !!

systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled

I know it’s blind leading the blind (I am a noob and not sure what to look for in the journal), but could this be (in part) responsible in the reboot taking so much time?

april 17 06:28:36 spectre systemd[1]: session-2.scope: Failed with result 'timeout'.
april 17 06:28:36 spectre systemd[1]: session-2.scope: Killing process 1470 (gmain) with signal SIGKILL.
april 17 06:28:36 spectre systemd[1]: session-2.scope: Killing process 1094 (pcmanfm) with signal SIGKILL.
april 17 06:28:36 spectre systemd[1]: session-2.scope: Stopping timed out. Killing.
1 Like

I read somewhere that removing all the .scope would resolve it but need to refind it !!!