Reboot doesn't work?

My amd is probably like @BONK as it only has the sp51_tco
I haven’t done anything with it as i don’t seem to have any shutdown issues although it would be nice if it was faster.

Edit: I’ll check my Intel later as it’s probably the same.

1 Like

So my sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/sp5100_tco.conf would/should look like this?

blacklist iTCO_wdt
blacklist iTCO_vendor_support
blacklist nowatchdog

Would this be correct? Thanks!

Edit: Should i rename the file to something else & remove blacklist sp5100_tco since I’m on intel?

I would name it something like iTCO_wdt.conf.

nowatchdog needs to be added to the kernel boot parameters in /etc/default/grub. Afterwards you need to run: sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

add this to the bottom of my grub?

blacklist nowatchdog

or just

nowatchdog

?

Here the top of my grub

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="EndeavourOS"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet resume=UUID=55493393-ce1a-4738-b673-c9a6c2a01f3c loglevel=3 nowatchdog"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
1 Like

Just nowatchdog to the line that looks something like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

in /etc/default/grub.

Ok i didn’t add nowatchdog to my grub, but i did add this to my NEW sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/iTCO_wdt.conf

blacklist iTCO_wdt

This seems to have worked for me, using a 10th Gen Intel

1 Like

:+1:t5: Great!

1 Like

Thank you @pebcak @Stagger_Lee @BONK For the help! :+1:t3: :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Blacklisting the sp5100_tco module isn’t doing anything for you, so there’s no need to have that.

Meanwhile, you already have “nowatchdog” in your grub; EndeavourOS has it there by default. Look at the end of the line here:

2 Likes

Yea i saw that in my grub, which is why i didn’t add it again & seeing if it worked & it did.

As far as my creating a sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/sp5100_tco.conf, can i leave it or should i delete it?

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s not doing anything for you, so I would delete it.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

I have had the same problem for several years.Earlier with Manjaro I managed it with the above mentioned trick. Meanwhile it is no longer existent with Manjaro, I don’t know, probably better hardware detection. Here with EndeavourOS I got again these error messages from Watchdog at shutdown. I have again blacklisted the same things in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. It works, but now I’m not sure if what I put in blacklist.conf is really correct.

lsmod | grep -e dog -e wdt -e tco gives me NO output, so I can’t determine what needs to be blacklisted. Processor is i5 2500K.

Again, my blacklist.conf currently has the following content:

# disable intel mei (including mei_watchdog)
blacklist intel_pmc_bxt 16384 1 iTCO_wdt
blacklist iTCO_vendor_support 16384 1 iTCO_wdt

# Do not load the 'iTCO_wdt' watchdog module on boot.
blacklist iTCO_wdt

You’re getting no return because you have already blacklisted the proper modules.

You can comment out the 3 lines in your blacklist.conf file, reboot, and then if you run the command, you’ll see those modules listed. Seems kind of pointless, but you can do it if you want to.

1 Like

The output of

lsmod | grep -e dog -e wdt -e tco now is:

iTCO_wdt               16384  0
intel_pmc_bxt          16384  1 iTCO_wdt
iTCO_vendor_support    16384  1 iTCO_wdt

What else can I change?

Why would you want to have them loaded again at boot?

That’s exactly what you had blacklisted in your blacklist.conf file. There’s nothing to change. As I wrote above, you already had it right.

2 Likes

I have now only reloaded it to get an exate output of

lsmod | grep -e dog -e wdt -e tco

to get it.

Thanks a lot @Stagger_Lee , now I can sleep peacefully again :wink:

1 Like

BTW, you don’t need to add the 16384 1 iTCO_wdt after the entries in your blacklist.conf.

All you need is:

blacklist intel_pmc_bxt
blacklist iTCO_wdt
2 Likes