Random stuttering for a second

Last year I switched over to EndeavourOS from Linux Mint and I definitely vastly prefer it. But at some point later last year, I started getting random stuttering. It happens once to three times a day, where my computer will just start stuttering and being choppy for about a second or two, then be fine after that, until it inevitably happens again later on. I was using KDE Plasma, and thought maybe it was the DE, so I switched over to Cinnamon, and it still happens. I switched back over to Linux Mint recently for a couple months, and it never happened. So I decided to switch back over to EndeavourOS because I prefer it a lot, and it’s still happening. Even within the 42 minutes uptime I’ve had while typing this, it happened. Any possibility you guys know what’s going on? Thank you!

Host: G705 1.0 
Kernel: 6.1.11-arch1-1 
Uptime: 42 mins 
Packages: 825 (pacman), 42 (flatpak) 
Shell: bash 5.1.16 
Resolution: 1920x1080 
DE: Cinnamon 5.6.7 
WM: Mutter (Muffin) 
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (4) @ 3.500GH 
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 
Memory: 2835MiB / 15921MiB 
2 Likes

I have pretty similar specs to you, also running on Cinnamon. I’ve been encountering this issue for a few months also. I’ve checked logs and have never found anything out of the ordinary. I was hoping that it wasn’t just me :open_mouth:

I’m curious if you experience the same issue with xfce

I’ve also been experiencing this for a month or so. I get the exact symptoms you described. Maybe an nvidia related issue?

Kernel: 6.1.11-zen1-1-zen
Uptime: 22 hours, 55 mins
Packages: 1575 (pacman), 8 (flatpak)
Shell: zsh 5.9
Display: 2560x1440 @ 144Hz
DE: KDE Plasma 5.26.5
WM: KWin (X11)
WM Theme: Sweet-Dark-transparent
Theme: kvantum (Sweet) [QT], Sweet-Dark-v40 [GTK2/3/4]
Icons: candy-icons [QT], candy-icons [GTK2/3/4]
Font: Noto Sans (12pt) [QT], Noto Sans (12pt) [GTK2/3/4]
Cursor: Sweet (24px)
Terminal: yakuake
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (12) @ 5.27871 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Lite Hash Rate
Memory: 8.55 GiB / 31.25 GiB (27%)
Disk (/): 56.08 GiB / 385 GiB (14%)
Disk (/home): 923 GiB / 1006 GiB (91%)
Locale: en_US.UTF-8

Comforting to know I’m not the only one experiencing this! This tells me it’s not a hardware issue but rather probably some driver compatibility issues, yeah. At least that’s my assumption. Hopefully someone can help us out? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Try disabling baloo:

balooctl suspend
balooctl disable
balooctl purge
balooctl status

It’s a file indexing service that is known to cause exactly this sort of stuttering. It’s pretty useless in my opinion, I search for files using the terminal (with fd).

1 Like

I will give this a try when I get home tonight, hoping it works.

Just did a clean install with Cinnamon, doesn’t seem to have baloo installed, I think that’s a KDE thing from what I saw on the Arch Linux wiki? This time I tried doing pacman -S nvidia instead of nvidia-inst, but it still seems to be happening, unfortunately. I think it has something to do with Nvidia drivers, maybe.

Of course, Baloo is a “KDE thing”. When you asked the question you were using KDE, right?

Sorry, I mixed you up with @Vegakuma.

Maybe this has got something to do with it, if you have a Ryzen cpu.

1 Like

This could be it, especially since Vegakuma said they also use a Ryzen processor. I wonder if due to Linux Mint not being a rolling distro, that is why I don’t experience the stuttering when using it? Seems like maybe I should look into updating the BIOS of my motherboard, and maybe turn off the fTPM feature? Or should I wait for the 6.2 kernel?

I don’t have an AMD cpu, but I don’t see any hurt in trying, you can always turn it back on. If you dual boot, Windows might complain though. I don’t remember if tpm is mandatory now or not.

1 Like

What is showing for

inxi -Ga

There is also the LTS kernel. If it is not affected by this problem, and if this is the real issue, you could always run the LTS until the latest kernel is fixed.

1 Like

For those running Ryzen i suggest you update the Bios so that it has the AGESA 1207 or newer.

Edit: I know this is Windows but should work for linux also.

:point_down:

3 Likes
inxi -Ga
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GA106 [GeForce RTX 3060 Lite Hash Rate]
vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: nvidia v: 525.89.02
alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm non-free: 525.xx+
process: TSMC n7 (7nm) built: 2020-22 pcie: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s
lanes: 16 ports: active: none off: DP-3 empty: DP-1,DP-2,HDMI-A-1
bus-ID: 08:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:2504 class-ID: 0300
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.7 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.8
compositor: kwin_x11 driver: X: loaded: nvidia unloaded: modesetting
alternate: fbdev,nouveau,nv,vesa gpu: nvidia,nvidia-nvswitch
display-ID: :0 screens: 1
Screen-1: 0 s-res: 2560x1440 s-dpi: 108 s-size: 602x342mm (23.70x13.46")
s-diag: 692mm (27.26")
Monitor-1: DP-3 mapped: DP-4 note: disabled model: Dell S2716DG
serial: #ASMEVEjjO7/d built: 2016 res: 2560x1440 dpi: 109 gamma: 1.2
size: 598x336mm (23.54x13.23") diag: 686mm (27") ratio: 16:9 modes:
max: 2560x1440 min: 640x480
API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 525.89.02 renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX
3060/PCIe/SSE2 direct-render: Yes

Trying the BIOS update and keeping an eye on Baloo as suggested, appreciate all the help everyone!

3 Likes

Everything looks correct so i would check UEFI (Bios) if there is an update. Not sure what your hardware is? (Motherboard) laptop desktop?

Yeah I went ahead and updated the BIOS. I have an ASUS X570-P motherboard in a desktop at the moment. I was running a BIOS version before the mentioned fix to fTPM, so I updated to the latest version which is 4601. Everything went well and I’m back into Endeavour, so I’ll keep using it and see if I still experience the stutters. Thanks again!

I am also running a MSI X570 Gaming Plus and i have the latest UEFI (Bios) Firmware ad have no issues.

So i see you have the AMD AGESA 1208 which is one newer than mine. MSI hasn’t come out with that one yet. I am running 1207

Hey just wanted to check back in and say that updating my BIOS seems to have fixed this issue. Others in this thread experiencing the same thing, I would highly encourage giving it a try. Thanks again @ricklinux, @LamnaNasus, and @Kresimir for all your help.

3 Likes