Questions re initial customization

Hi,
Some simple questions here. New to Endeavour OS. Trying out the Budgie version.

• How does one switch Caps Lock and Esc?

• How does one “drag” a window to a neighboring workspace?

• How does one navigate the Desktop menu using the keyboard?

This is probably documented somewhere, but I can’t seem to find it.

all best, jr

Added in proof: found answer to second item in an Ubuntu forum. Any other place I should look for documentation?

Budgie DE Documentation.

3 Likes

Using the arrow keys selects applications in the menu, but because of the SelectionMode of the applications list, there is no visual indicator. I just made a Pull Request to fix this here.

As to the first question, that I have no idea.

1 Like

Probably will need:

1 community/interception-caps2esc 0.3.2-2 [8.23KiB 20.13KiB]
    Interception plugin that transforms the most useless key ever in the most useful one

or xmodmap.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response and the pull request. In addition to what you indicated there is also a problem with accessing the first column of categories (by arrow keys) – at least on my laptop. Do you see that as well?

Now that the first PR has been merged, yes, I can see that. Made another PR to fix that here.

Thanks for your action on these things.

I figured out how to switch the caps and esc key using dconf-editor. So that’s taken care of.

There are two more questions that I have as I play around with things more:

• How do you log off - as opposed to either shutting down (C - Alt - Del) or going to sleep (Alt-L)?

• When switching to a workspace with one active window, there is no initial focus. So I have to use another keystroke to focus on the lone window. Is this easy to customize?

thanks and all best.

Clicking the power button in Budgie Menu has a log-out option. This same dialog is brought up by clicking the User Indicator applet if you add that to your panel. If you prefer a more traditional menu, this applet can be installed from the AUR, which also has a log-out option.

For this, I would ask to file a report here so it’s on the radar and the feasibility can be looked at and discussed. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Upon quick discussion on Matrix, it sounds like this used to work, but the applet hasn’t seen any changes in a few years. So it might be a change in Mutter, in which case…

EDIT 2: There are a couple open issues on Mutter which might be related to this:

1 Like