Question regarding recent EndeavourOS mirrorlist update

Greetings lovely community,

I came across this warning today when updating with yay:

warning: /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist saved as /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist.pacsave

I’ve come across an endeavouros-mirrorlist.pacnew warning before, but not a .pacsave warning before. Normally I would open up the Welcome app, run the Pacdiff & Meld assistant and replace the pacnew file, but in this case that does not apply as there’s nothing to do. With this pacsave warning, and the recent eos-rankmirrors update, I wonder if this even requires any manual intervention by me or if it can just be safely ignored as it’s just doing it’s job?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but after the recent eos-rankmirrors update, whenever a new endeavouros-mirrorlist update is released, it’s automatically save that new mirrorlist as a .pacsave, then with eos-rankmirrors set to YES for auto mirror ranking, will rank the EndeavourOS mirrors and take that .pacsave file, then write it to the endeavouros-mirrorlist, and also replace the older mirrorlist, by adding a date at the end of it as a backup created after the new mirrorlist replaces it. Hopefully I have understand that correctly? Thanks for any input! Looking at you @manuel for any helpful clarification :wink:

Here’s my full output from the update today if that’s helpful:

[scott@endeavourOS ~]$ yay
[sudo] password for scott: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra                1565.6 KiB   506 KiB/s 00:03 [-----------------------] 100%
 community               6.0 MiB   555 KiB/s 00:11 [-----------------------] 100%
 multilib is up to date
 endeavouros            23.8 KiB  18.8 KiB/s 00:01 [-----------------------] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

warning: insufficient columns available for table display
Packages (4) endeavouros-mirrorlist-4.4-1  libbpf-0.6.1-1
             wxgtk-common-3.0.5.1-3  wxgtk3-3.0.5.1-3

Total Download Size:    6.59 MiB
Total Installed Size:  26.94 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      -2.07 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages...
 endeavouros-mirr...    14.0 KiB  43.9 KiB/s 00:00 [-----------------------] 100%
 libbpf-0.6.1-1-x...   212.7 KiB   106 KiB/s 00:02 [-----------------------] 100%
 wxgtk-common-3.0...     2.3 MiB   206 KiB/s 00:12 [-----------------------] 100%
 wxgtk3-3.0.5.1-3...     4.1 MiB   242 KiB/s 00:17 [-----------------------] 100%
 Total (4/4)             6.6 MiB   391 KiB/s 00:17 [-----------------------] 100%
(4/4) checking keys in keyring                     [-----------------------] 100%
(4/4) checking package integrity                   [-----------------------] 100%
(4/4) loading package files                        [-----------------------] 100%
(4/4) checking for file conflicts                  [-----------------------] 100%
(4/4) checking available disk space                [-----------------------] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
warning: /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist saved as /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist.pacsave
(1/4) upgrading endeavouros-mirrorlist             [-----------------------] 100%
(2/4) upgrading libbpf                             [-----------------------] 100%
(3/4) upgrading wxgtk-common                       [-----------------------] 100%
(4/4) upgrading wxgtk3                             [-----------------------] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/3) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/3) Rank EndeavourOS mirrors after installing or upgrading the related mirrorlist package
Fetching the latest available endeavouros-mirrorlist ...
Ranking EndeavourOS mirrors, please wait ...
====> Fail: https://endeavour.remi.lu/repo/$repo/$arch

Moving old mirrorlist to /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist.2022.01.05-11.16.36.
Writing new mirrorlist to /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist.

==> The EndeavourOS mirrorlist was modified by ranking.
==> The old mirrorlist was backed up with the current date in the file name.
==> Because of ranking, please run command
==>    sudo pacman -Syu
==> to activate the changes.
(3/3) Checking which packages need to be rebuilt
:: Searching databases for updates...
:: Searching AUR for updates...
:: Checking development packages...
 -> Flagged Out Of Date AUR Packages:  minecraft-launcher
 there is nothing to do
[scott@endeavourOS ~]$ 
1 Like

That should be OK.

Updating package endeavouros-mirrorlist used to create a .pacnew file.
Now this has been changed in PKGBUILD, so pacman saves your existing mirrorlist as .pacsave instead, but only this one time.

And now the previous mirrorlist file will be backed up with a date in the file name.

Later updates of endeavouros-mirrorlist will not create .pacsave nor .pacnew anymore.

EDIT: so, manual intervention is not required. You can delete this .pacsave file. And if you have something you want to keep in the backup file (with the date), simply run meld and merge any important stuff to the new mirrorlist file.

5 Likes

I wonder what is the reason behind this decision? Isn’t this the purpose of .pacnew and .pacsave files?

I assume this has something to do with the update to eos-rankmirrors, but what if this package is not installed?

1 Like

eos-rankmirrors should be installed by default.
Of course user can uninstall it, and then no EndeavourOS mirrorlist backups will be created on updating the endeavouros-mirrorlist package.

The EndeavourOS mirrorlist will be updated very seldom, and in case it is needed, it is easily available from the EndeavourOS development site at github.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, that definitely helps clear things up. When I run the Pacdiff & meld assistant nothing happens, so is it just a rm command I need to run to delete the .pacsave file or it’s okay to just leave it alone?

1 Like

If you don’t want to keep that file, you can delete it with rm. Or leave it alone, it doesn’t hurt much on the disk. The file is not needed by any EndeavourOS apps.

1 Like

Yeah that.pacsave file is only 3kb so I think I’ll let it sit there a while and collect some dust, thanks for the help :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is likely what I’ll do going forwards. I think it’s a cool opt in feature, but it’s not something I want or want being saved. 3kb or not, it’s not really necessary.

Thanks for clarification!

Can we have an option not to create the backup? It is rather pointless.

1 Like

Will eos-rankmirrors work with ARM? I would think so since it only involves our EndeavourOS repos. I see it in the x86_64 repo. I don’t have it in the ARM repos. It is “any” architecture so I will have to download it and try it on ARM.

Pudge

What happens when endeavouros-mirrorlist package gets updated and the package eos-rankmirror is not installed? Nothing?

If so, shouldn’t then eos-rankmirror be marked as a dependency of endeavouros-mirrorlist?

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.