Question About XFCE

I been talking with some of my close friends, and I was wondering if XFCE can look and be as cool as KDE. I know its inner workings are different. I had some trouble with KDE…

But, they recommended:

Compiz
Emerald
XFCE inside Openbox (so no panel, just right click)
Conky
Cairo-dock
XFCE-goodies

Is that a good round of programs, or are there more options and/or better ones?

Besides the xfce4-goodies package, I use kvantum to theme my Qt apps. On that note, KDE just has way more customization available than Xfce.

It’s about what you like. I mean. I have basically a black taskbar, a black background the distro logo in the middle. Who really even looks at the “desktop” anyways?

That being said, I give it 10 posts or less before this just becomes a great kde love fest and no one even remembers what xfce is.

2 Likes

Yes. KDE does have more customization, but it doesn’t have that much window optimization.

If you are old and do not have much life to waste, can use xfce in my view.
If you can do the following configurations, your desktop will become a super desktop even better than win 10.

configure mount partition (sudo thunar, in mounting ext4 partition, ntfs partitions usually mounted to user-name 1000)

configure panel (panel 1, 2, separator << transparent, extended >>, separator, window button, , separator, separator << transparent, extended >> )

configure windows manager (windows manager, header bar, font)
copy /usr/share/themes/today

configure appearance (.theme, font)
copy ~/.themes

configure mouse & touchpad (.icons)
copy ~/.icons

configure thunar (if no default installed, yay -S thunar-volman)
(view :: list view, show hidden files, location = button, sidebar=tree)
(edit - - preference - - behavior :: check 'show delete files, edit - - preference - - advance :: click storage ‘configue’ & check the first two options in removable devices)

copy any file or files in treeview area of thunar and paste to directory in sidebar area of thunar, paste to directory in treeview area of thunar, and paste to directory button in location area of thunar
copy any directory or directories in treeview area of thunar and paste to directory in sidebar area of thunar, paste to directory in treeview area of thunar, and paste to directory button in location area of thunar
copy any directory in location area of thunar and paste to directory in sidebar area of thunar, paste to directory in treeview area area of thunar, or even paste to empty space in treeview area area of thunar
copy any directory in sidebar area of thunar and paste to directory in sidebar area of thunar, paste to directory in treeview area of thunar, and paste to directory button in location area of thunar, or even paste to empty space in treeview area area of thunar

configure sudo thunar
xfce4-terminal -e “sudo dbus-run-session thunar”

configure terminal in thunar
/usr/bin/xfce4-terminal --working-directory %f

configure terminal
roller
text size
fonts
new terminal

configure mousepad
line number
tools bar
fonts
color scheme
preference (line auto swap)

Icons in panel:::

menu
thunar
xfce4-terminal
clementine
kdenlive
simplescreenrecorder
flameshot
pinta
restretto
gaprted
mintstick
gnome-disks
virtualbox (run virtualbox)
leafpad
geany
mousepad
appearance
sudo thunar
xsetoff (xset -dpms && xset s off)
xbindkey (xbindkeys -f ~/.xbindkeysrc for .foxtrader of wine app)
~/.foxtrader (wine app)
~/.foxtrader (wine app us market)
~/.tsetrader (wine python data transform)
~/.otctrader (wine python data transform)
google
firefox
thunar
xfce4-terminal
carla (pw-jack carla)
~/.ldisconnect-usb (disconnect all usb sink ports in carla)
pavucontrl
~/.nyresources (create simultaneous sink and connect its outports to all audio output devices’ source ports in carla)
~/.lv2-eq-surround (connect all self-designing sinks’ ports to simultaneous sink’s source ports in carla)
celluloid
/usr/bin/apulse /usr/lib/firefox/firefox (let firefox be able to use pipewire)

action button
clock