Question about "shut down", "restart" and core system updates

this question is… for those who have good knowledge of how “shut down”, “sleep” and “restart” work

so recently I learned that… some computers with Windows have or used to have (? not sure) a feature called “fast startup”, where “shut down” doesn’t actually shut down everything, some processes get “memorized” by the system and, due to that, some errors might remain even after shutting down, and some apps that require a restart to update don’t actually get updated; while “restart” actually restarts the system all over, not memorizing these processes

I wanted to ask, what about EOS in regard to all of this?

because I have probably chosen “shut down” instead of “restart” when the terminal asked me to restart after core system updates, maybe I have even chosen “shut down” instead of “restart” after installing EOS (I can’t remember), I just blindly thought that “shut down” is the one that actually does a proper full restart, but… I guess not always

is this something I should be concerned about?.. or do these apps just get updated next time I restart and nothing wrong happens before that?

In Linux, either shutdown or restart is fine.

In general, everything gets updated when the updates run. However, some core components never leave memory so the don’t actually get updated until they are reloaded by rebooting.

5 Likes

I see…
but what about this? o:

It is not present in this system. It’s an external program that you can install yourself, but as a standard, developers don’t push things into the system that may not be useful to the user at all.
For frequently used applications, but also not only, serves ephemeral cache memory, from which applications are run a little faster

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.