Question about GPU Drivers (in calamares)

So after going through the calamares installer, deciding the DE and all that, you get shown what packages exactly are going to get installed, now here under the GPU section there are:
- xf86-video-intel
- xf86-video-ati
- xf86-video-amdgpu
(if i remember correctly)
Now do i need those 3 ? because am on Desktop with a Ryzen 5 5600X and an RTX 3060Ti, that processor does not have integrated graphic so technically all i need is the nvidia driver, or not ?

Also another question, when i boot into the usb where the .iso for Endeavour is, there is a normal install and one with “nvidia (latest cards only)” what exactly does this option ? Does it just use nvidia drivers for the time i am booted into the usb, or does it install the nvidia driver in the system when am done with calamares.

First, welcome to the forum!

No, if you only have nvidia GPU, you can uncheck those. On the other hand, it won’t hurt anything to leave them checked so it is totally up to you.

It uses the proprietary nvidia drivers.

Alright, thanks for the help!

As you have quit a new Nvidia card, you might need to use an additional kernel parameter

ibt=off

To add that parameter at install time, you may add the following lines in the end of file ~/user_commands.bash before starting the install in liveuser:

kernel_parameters="ibt=off"
sed -i /etc/default/grub \
    -e "s|^\(GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=\"\)|\1$kernel_parameters |"
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

EDIT: this is not meant with Intel CPUs, sorry about misinformation. And thanks @dalto for seeing it.

I thought that only applied to certain kernel versions and certain Intel CPUs. The OP has a Ryzen 5 5600X so that shouldn’t apply, right?

1 Like

I do believe you are correct that it was an Intel / Nvidia issue specifically. It definitely got me when I still had the Nvidia card in there.

Yes, you’re right. Missed the Intel cpu part. I’ll add this to my post above.
Thanks!

For me, the installer is clever enough to work out that only xf86-video-intel is needed, and it does not install the other two, even if selected.

YMMV though.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.