QT Apps seems to ignore Global Kvantum themes

Greetings fellow humans, human fellas.

Back in Manjaro days, I’d just install the Kvantum-manjaro package, set my QT theme, then have all my qt apps follow said theme. It was easy as hell, but it seems there needs to be more intervention to run in on EndeavourOS.

Following this guide, I ran the

echo "export QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=kvantum" >> ~/.profile

Command, then logged in back to Gnome, yet apps still seem to ignore my taste in color schemes.

Any idea on how to proceed?

Thanks. Paul

very stupid question (mine): have you changed also the theme in kvantum manager?

I think you are on the right path. I don’t run Gnome (XFCE) but I am primarily GTK. I have 3 things set in my ~/.profile relating to QT, as follows:

┌14:03:28 WD= [/usr/share/conkywx]
└───freebird@nest ─▶$ env | grep QT
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=kvantum
QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1.25

The scale factor is just a sizing option, because I’m on a 3840x2160 monitor, but I think both of the others are needed. If qt5ct is not installed, you’ll have to add it in for this to work!

Let us know if it behaves…

1 Like

Yeah. Theme in for kvantum app changes but not for other qt apps.

if qt5ct is installed and the platformtheme is set to t5ct in /etc/environment ,

there is normal a opening called like : qt5-settings in menu …standard its set to fusion , but you can set those to kvantum.

2 Likes

Kdenlive seems to follow properly now… Qbittorrent however is still stubborn… More research must be conducted!

Weirdly, I didn’t have a .profile file in my home folder…

I’m not sure what

Is supposed to do, or even if I’m supposed to use that part.
Would you mind explaining this, please? Thanks!

Solved!

Thanks to both @freebird54 and @ringo, I was able to solve the problem.

I simply added

QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=kvantum

to
/etc/environment
not /.profile.

The issue is solved and case closed. Thank you to all those who came to help me!

3 Likes

From my understanding, adding the lines to /etc/environment causes all users to use the selected Kvantum theme. Am I right? If so, does this mean that all users will have to use the same Kvantum theme or will each user be allowed to use their own kvantum theme?

from my understanding, using

simply indicates that you’re going to use kvantum for the styling of qt applications; then each user - but here i’d wait double check - is able to indicate the preferred theme within its own qt5-settings or kvantum-manager…

moreover, just for the “pleasure” of gaining some insights on the maze of environment and shell variables, I’d always found interesting the graphs presented in this article.

2 Likes

The env command shows what your environment settings currently are - and the “|grep QT” part restricts the output to lines containing QT .

Having the entries in /etc/environment, AFAIK, will set these options for all users - and putting them into a file (which you create if not present) named ~/.profile sets them only for the user you logged in as. The lines would look like:

export QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=kvantum

in that case. You choice - like everything else in EndeavourOS (or Linux, for that matter).

That’s my understanding as well (maybe wrongly worded in my previous post), but then, afaik, each user is able to set its own theme within the chosen framework - kvantum in this case - as that entry should be saved by the respective theme manager within the user home. I don’t actually have (yet) a working machine to try it and report, but if I remember correctly, when I tried in “the other distro” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: months ago, it was like that