Problems with Bleachbit

Hello,

Through the Bleachbit the icon cannot be opened, only through the terminal can the graph be able to be opened and run.
–a previously unseen message appears as it runs on the graph:

‘chardet module is not available to detect character encoding’

uchardet is installed, other options available are: ccucharde, python2-chardet, python-chardet.

But I don’t know if this is related to the issue or which one i should install, ‘if’ …

Any idea?. Thanks.

1 Like

Can’t reproduce, Bleachbit seems to be working fine on a fresh install, without any character encoding detection packages installed (using LANG=en_US.UTF-8 though). Is it opening and working if you launch it from the terminal or aborting as well?

What is the output of

grep -id recurse bleach /usr/share/applications/

and maybe

localectl

as well

1 Like

For me Bleachbit is working fine in my xface desktop.

1 Like

Now it is working fine (?).

[keos@keos-pc ~]$ grep -id recurse bleach /usr/share/applications/
/usr/share/applications/org.bleachbit.BleachBit.desktop:Name=BleachBit
/usr/share/applications/org.bleachbit.BleachBit.desktop:TryExec=bleachbit
/usr/share/applications/org.bleachbit.BleachBit.desktop:Exec=bleachbit
/usr/share/applications/org.bleachbit.BleachBit.desktop:Icon=bleachbit
[keos@keos-pc ~]$ localectl
   System Locale: LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
                  LC_COLLATE=C
       VC Keymap: us-acentos
      X11 Layout: us
       X11 Model: pc105
     X11 Variant: altgr-intl
[keos@keos-pc ~]$ 

1 Like

Dear Kaos,

I always use BleachBit in the Terminal. Here is the command that I use:

sudo bleachbit && bleachbit && exit
or
sudo bleachbit && bleachbit && poweroff

The first one is if I wish to continue using the computer and the second one is, at the end of a session, I wish to “clean” the system and shutdown.

The first part of the command engages the Administrative section of BleachBit and the second part engages the “regular” section.

I find using it this way is much faster and at least as thorough as using the GUIs individually.

I hope that this is of some interest to you.

Lawrence

1 Like

Your .desktop looks fine to me… Is it launching from the icon now?

Honestly, I don’t get this whole thing of “cleaning” a linux system…

2 Likes

Back in late 2008, while I was still using Ubuntu, I read (somewhere) about this program which, I believe, was new at the time. It sounded as though it would be a very useful program so I installed it and I have been using it ever since (on every GNU/Linux distro I have ever tried/used).

It generally takes just a minute or two to run and it certainly doesn’t hurt anything. I realize that hard drives and SSDs are very large in size but if I can save a bit of space, why not?

It certainly is not an essential program (I have found only one distro which included it as standard) but I think that it is a useful one.

Of course that’s just my opinion.

Lawrence

1 Like

@Tasia91 yes from the icon, it was probably a temporary malfunction.

@lhb1142 this is what happen with the command …

Screenshot_2020-06-15_11-52-29

Sorry, I “goofed” in the command quoted above. It should read;

sudo bleachbit && bleachbit && exit
or
sudo bleachbit && bleachbit && poweroff

(I have corrected the “typo” in my original post.)

You have to change the settings a bit. Here are mine:

Screenshot_2020-06-15_12-28-06

Note that I have the program set to Exit after cleaning (you must do this for both sections, the Administrative and the Regular).

Once BleachBit is activated, you merely click on Clean and it will do so. (As a shortcut, which is what I do, click the Tab button three times, click the left arrow, and hit Enter.) Once the first section has completed, the second section will appear; do the same things for that section. After that is done, the final part of the command (exit or poweroff) will engage.

I should also mention that I have everything selected to be “wiped” EXCEPT for (under System) Free Disk Space and Memory.

Please also note that I have selected the ENTIRE file system to be wiped (this is done in both sections):

Screenshot_2020-06-15_13-32-43

You can see that < / > (the entire file system) has been added to the defaults.

Please try running it again (using the command I have corrected, not the “flawed” one) and please let me know if it works for you.

Lawrence

I’ve been using it for a long time. It may be that a few GB of space can be freed up in an Arch-based distro, which is not to be despised even on larger disks.

1 Like

@lhb1142 I don’t see the option you have in yours … /

Screenshot_2020-06-16_06-32-15

1 Like

Imo, it can do more harm than good, if you are not careful enough. I certainly wouldn’t blindly automatically(?) “clean” my system giving administrative privileges to an app (esp. using sudo).

What kind of data can need an app like this, which cannot be carefully removed by other means or stay there on the system doing no harm whatsoever (due to not being accessed anymore)? I am genuinely curious.

2 Likes

Dear Kaos,

You have to manually add it. You go into Preferences, click on Add, go to Other Locations, select everything, and click Add.

Actually, at that point, you could remove the two other selections (they’re included in everything of course) but I myself just leave them there.

I hope that you are able to configure your BleachBit the way you’d like and I hope that I have been of some help to you.

Lawrence

Dear Tasia91,

I have been using BleachBit since either late 2008 or early 2009. I run it daily at the end of my session and sometimes during a session (though it’s not really necessary to do it then).

I have used this program on at least twenty different GNU/Linux distros and I have NEVER had a problem (even the most minute) when using it.

It just cleans the system and, frankly, I feel better about it when it’s done.

Certainly the data that this program “wipes” can be done manually by yourself but doing it with BleachBit is far faster and more thorough in my opinion.

But that’s why they make chocolate and vanilla. If you don’t feel comfortable in using this program, then just don’t!

In my Linux experience I have used only one distro on which it came as standard; all other distros required it to be added by the user. So it is certainly not a necessity by any means.

But I like it and I’ll continue to use it.

Lawrence

May I ask why do you feel the need to do it? I am here not to judge anyone’s habits, I probably just don’t understand something. There was a time when I didn’t have a smallest clue of how does an operating system function and used things like CCleaner on Windows and various task killers and cache cleaners on Android (I didn’t use Linux at that time) almost obsessively feeling good looking at how many “nasty” things got wiped/killed. But it’s useless at best most of the time. Luckily most of “cleaners” don’t get elevated privileges, otherwise it would be much worse than just a waste of time.

I did run Bleachbit on my VM install. It’s a fresh one, so not much stuff to “clean” there. Got a nice number though anyway (444MB) because it wiped all the localisations and man pages. I wonder what would it clean on an older install? Logs, shell/browser history, trash?

Again, it is no more than curiosity on my part. I respect everyone’s personal choices in how they maintain their system and still trying to adopt good habits as well.

2 Likes

@lhb1142

After applying the changes as you indicate and putting the command in the terminal, the graphic opens again and you have to continue with it …

(and this one did the cleaning as usual, i did not notice that it was faster than usual).

Am I missing a step in the process?

I just like to keep my system as clean as possible. I do not want any caches or passwords or anything else which is useless or unnecessary to remain after I finish a session and BleachBit cleans all of that and more and does so very quickly and efficiently. It has NEVER removed anything that shouldn’t have been removed, only that which I do not want to remain on my computer after each session.

I understand that certain agencies do not like this program. Not that I have anything at all to hide, but I would not want some others to see what I have been doing. Frankly, it’s none of anybody’s business but my own.

That is why I use the program and will continue to use it. They don’t call me The Paranoid Kid for nothing!

Lawrence

1 Like

No, you appear to be not missing a step. Especially the first time you completely clean ALL of the system, BleachBit takes a fairly long time to do its “thing.” After all, there were a lot of useless files, etc.,on your computer which hadn’t been cleaned previously. After you have continued to use the program, you should find that the time involved becomes much less, depending of course, on just how much extraneous data the program needs to clean (for example, after a large download during updating the system).

I really like the program; I have been using it for many years and I plan to use it for the foreseeable future. I hope that you like it too.

Lawrence

Ok, privacy concerns, got it, thanks for explaining. Probably a good thing.
“Don’t use any computers because the Nosy Secret Agents may looking over your shoulder using Van Eck phreaking.”
(I did some reading in the meantime :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Lawrence, thanks for everything. Personaly im not concerned with “privacy” because in our times it simply do not exist anymore, it is just an ilusion. I just want my system very clean it will be running much, much better!.

1 Like