Problems after switching from AMD to NVIDIA GTX 5060 TI

Hey folks,
I just switched from AMD to a NVIDIA RTX 5060 Ti and can’t quite get the driver to work.
I first tried nvidia-inst, and that suggested to opt for yay -S nvidia-beta-dkms.

So I did just that but it doesn’t seem to work.. I mean it gets installed but it does not detect displays properly, as the first one is listed incorrectly and the second is missing altogether.
I think I’m missing something here..

Here are some outputs that might be relevant, thank all of you in advance!

nvidia-inst --drivers 
NVIDIA card id: 2d04
Fetching driver data from nvidia.com ...

Series 575: supported (nvidia.com: 575.51.02)

NOTE: nvidia-beta-dkms 575.51.02 is an AUR package. To install it, use command:
   yay -S nvidia-beta-dkms

inxi -Gaz              
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia v: 575.51.02
    alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm non-free: N/A status: unknown device ID pcie:
    gen: 5 speed: 32 GT/s lanes: 8 link-max: lanes: 16 bus-ID: 01:00.0
    chip-ID: 10de:2d04 class-ID: 0300
  Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Raphael vendor: Gigabyte
    driver: amdgpu v: kernel arch: RDNA-2 code: Navi-2x process: TSMC n7 (7nm)
    built: 2020-22 pcie: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16 ports: active: none
    empty: DP-1, DP-2, DP-3, HDMI-A-1, Writeback-1 bus-ID: 0f:00.0
    chip-ID: 1002:164e class-ID: 0300 temp: 30.0 C
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.16 with: Xwayland v: 24.1.6
    compositor: Picom v: 12.5 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu,modesetting,nouveau
    alternate: fbdev,nv,vesa dri: radeonsi gpu: nvidia,amdgpu display-ID: :0
    screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1024x768 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 270x203mm (10.63x7.99")
    s-diag: 338mm (13.3")
  Monitor-1: Unknown-1 mapped: None-1 res: mode: 1024x768 hz: 60
    scale: 100% (1) size: N/A modes: 1024x768
  API: EGL v: 1.5 hw: drv: amd radeonsi platforms: device: 0 drv: radeonsi
    device: 1 drv: swrast gbm: drv: kms_swrast surfaceless: drv: radeonsi x11:
    drv: swrast inactive: wayland
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: mesa v: 25.0.3-arch1.1 glx-v: 1.4
    direct-render: yes renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 19.1.7 256 bits)
    device-ID: ffffffff:ffffffff memory: 29.78 GiB unified: yes
  Info: Tools: api: clinfo, eglinfo, glxinfo gpu: nvidia-smi
    x11: xdpyinfo, xprop, xrandr
xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 768, maximum 4096 x 4096
None-1 connected primary 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768      60.00*+
pacman -Q | grep nvidia
nvidia-beta-dkms 575.51.02-1
nvidia-inst 25.4.8-1
nvidia-utils-beta 575.51.02-2

I wonder if its something to do with your cpu’s gpu driver being loaded too . . . have you tried disabling the iGPU in bios?

I think you should be using the latest nvidia open drivers.

I believe the beta-dkms is the absolute latest open nvidia driver. The proprietary drivers only apply to legacy gpus. (coming from someone who baselessly doubted the “nvidia-inst” script earlier this week :winking_face_with_tongue:)

Well there are nvidia-open-dkms and nvidia-open-beta-dkms and also nvidia-open and nvidia-open-beta

Ah I bet open-beta-dkms is the answer then!

Ya think? :rofl:

That was quick. Indeed, installing

was the solution!

I think I might not have thought of that because of this output not mentioning the package:

nvidia-inst --open 
2025-04-20 15:19:05: Info: nvidia-inst version 25.4.8-1
2025-04-20 15:19:05: Info: Command line: nvidia-inst --open
2025-04-20 15:19:05: Info: Selected mode: nvidia (Nvidia's open source)
2025-04-20 15:19:07: Error: your card is supported by an AUR package nvidia-beta-dkms,
but nvidia-inst does not support beta packages.
You can install nvidia-beta-dkms (and related packages) manually.

Thank you all for the great and quick suggestions!

For the record: Disabling the iGPU in bios did not help is my case.

Note that NVIDIA recommends all new GPUs (after the Turing family) to use the open drivers by NVIDIA.

Also see this: https://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/575.51.02/README/supportedchips.html. Your GPU id 2d04 appears on this latest driver 575 series (but not before), and that driver is only in AUR currently.