Problem with starting installation

Hello!

Sorry if I use wrong category for it. I have a problem with installing EndeavourOS on my laptop. I used dd command as well as SUSE Image writer to create a live boot stick. I manage to boot using the stick and then start the installation, but as soon as I start, I am greeted with following screen:

I think the most important is the last line. After a few seconds this screen dissapears and I am greeted with a similar screen that pops up for around a second and then the whole PC shuts down. I am unable to proceed further than that.

Do any of you have an idea what might be the issue? I wanted to try out that OS as Manjaro which I switched to after Antergos (Big mistake) does not support my GPU, when I try to install NVIDIA drivers my whole PC crashes and I end up with unusable OS. I didn’t have this problem with Antergos OS, and hope that Endeavour won’t have it either.

Some general info about my laptop:
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-Pro-15-N580VD/
Processor:Intel(R) Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Dedicated GPU: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile]
Integrated GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630
RAM: Samsung DDR4 16GB
Link to detail system info: https://filedn.com/l1KgwH5p2EW4VNE6LGR1JL0/hardwareinfo.html

1 Like

Hi,
I think the last line has nothing to do with it, its just telling you that it’s waiting for dhcp server to provide ip address. In my case that timeout never reached end, after ~30-40 seconds it launched Desktop Environment.

I would try to switch BIOS settings to run integrated graphics only and see what happens.

On de screen it want to generate a Dhcp ip adress. You using cable for internet ?

I will give it a try. Will I still be able to install drivers and stuff for my GPU during installation or will I have to sort it out after the installation?

I am using WiFi as my current room does not have a working Ethernet port.

I’m not sure and don’t want to lie to you. Of course you always can install drivers in terms od packages from repo, if you know which is which.

One very important thing:
if your laptop uses nvidia optimus to handle the gpu management, most likely when you install os on intel-only setup and restore optimus in BIOS your os will not boot, or if it will boot, you will still have to make your fight with ‘bumblebee’ which is opensource replacement for optimus. At least that are my experiences from like 3 years back.

Yeah it uses Optimus, what I had to do with antergos was that after I have installed OS I needed to install NVIDIA drivers, then install antergos-prime, and then I just set my PC to use the NVIDIA GPU constantly.

Sadly I seem to be unable to disable the NVIDIA GPU in BIOS as I cannot find the option for it as described in guides, maybe my BIOS is out of date and doesn’t have an option for that.

Okay I recorded a video and slowed it down to see what is being written to the screen before my PC shuts down, I get the following output to screen:
[48.453372] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: tmr: stalled at ffffffffffffffff
[48.470030] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: fifo: runlist 0 update timeout
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: unexpected signal 1
/dev/mapper/controll: OpenFailed: No such device
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
Check that device-mapper is available in the kernel.
Incompatible libdevmapper 1.02.158 (2019-05-13) and kernel driver (unknown version).
Command failed.
umount: can't unmount /dev/loop0: invalid argument
umount: can't unmount /oldrun/archiso/cowspace: invalid argument
[49.704777] reboot: Power down

Here are the screenshots from the video
2019-09-06_14%3A27%3A18

And the other one
2019-09-06_14%3A25%3A32

Do you remember how you managed to install Antergos?

One thing that comes to mind is blacklisting the nouveau driver while installing. Maybe lack of that causes those issues. Then hopefully you can install using only the Intel driver.

In principal you should be able to install nvidia drivers after install, if you can get started with the Intel driver.

There is a package nvidia-installer and a new version, nvidia-installer-dkms which is a dkms version of the first.

Did you enter F7 to get to advanced mode in your Bios. The Graphics setting should be there. Also make sure that secure boot and fast boot are turned off. If you can get the graphics set to Intel and install then install the Nvidia drivers and you will be able to re-enable the Nvidia again .

Have you tried editing the grub menu at the start and add the following.

modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

If any of the above work arounds don’t give you success then here is a link to an Nvidia enable ISO. You can try it and it should work.
http://endeavour.kamprad.net/beta/endeavouros-devel-nvidia-2-2019.07.20-x86_64.iso

1 Like

I have no idea how you guys have helped me, but the installation succeeded and I have a working system. I needed to use UEFI boot and disable the nouveau. It was so long since I installed antergos that I forgot this tidbit. Now I have my NVIDIA GPU running perfectlyCNxf1MM

Glad you got it installed. Check out the wiki as there are other things to read about. Welcome. Life is better when you Endeavour! :smiley:

You are right Rick, life is so much better when I Endeavour. I can finally run my 3D applications that I develop at my uni. Here are some samples, for anyone interested:
2019-09-07_20%3A58%3A41

1 Like