Problem with ly dm

Is anyone else using ly, the super stripped down dm from the AUR? I ran various updates last night, including one for ly (and they don’t come along very often) and then couldn’t log in today due to some kind of X error. From what I could tell ly didn’t have permission to open a terminal and thus couldn’t start my desktop, though I was able to log in through another tty. I had work to do so I just ran a timeshift restore instead of digging into it, but I’m curious if anyone else using ly had the same problem? I’m not very good at using logs, but if someone can remind me how to go about it then I’m happy to give more info.

If…

…one is interested in messages not from the current, but from the previous boot (e.g. if an unrecoverable system crash happened). This is possible through optional offset parameter of the -b flag: journalctl -b -0 shows messages from the current boot, journalctl -b -1 from the previous boot, journalctl -b -2 from the second previous and so on – you can see the list of boots with their numbers by using journalctl --list-boots .

Source.

Example to paste link of log here:
journalctl -b -2 | eos-sendlog

1 Like

I don’t want to throw a wrench in too far, but ly from the AUR hasn’t been updated since 2021-10-7 . . . so, I’m not sure what update you got, but something else caused the issue to ly, not the the other way around. Please see prior post to begin diagnosis.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ly

ly has several issues and is very finicky, so that’s why we dropped it from :enos: sway install too.

My bad, I should have specified that I use the ly-git AUR package.

1 Like

Thx, I’ll check when I’m on that machine later tonight.

I’ll take your word for it, but I’ve used it for a couple years and this is the first time I’ve had problems. I generally keep things pretty minimal, so it’s a good fit for me.

If you can’t get it to work, you can still do a text like login.

You may need the xorg-xinit package and a .xinitrc that starts your wm/de’s if you don’t have that.

Disable ly’s service via systemd (unless you’ve already uninstalled it)

On boots, you’ll get a text screen with user/password prompts, then dropped to a command line. Call startx passing in your wm/de as defined in your .xinitrc.

1 Like