Privacy respecting search engines

A fatal error has occurred. Remove this user immediately! (c)

:rofl:

Settings in there…Jeez you can customize the crap out of engine :slight_smile:

1 Like

The catapult mechanism will set in soon.

1 Like

Pretty interesting! :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Nice, thanks for sharing! Looks interesting indeed.
:purple_heart:

2 Likes

:champagne:

2 Likes

It’s very early to say about privacy / censorship resistance, BUT:

https://search.brave.com/

It have it’s own indexing, no Google / Bing parsing at all, which is very good regardless.

I absolutely love accuracy of my typical test results also :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Something to keep an eye out for. But it’s Brave so my expectations are not too high. I imagine the one who pays the most will be at the top of the results.

5 Likes

Yes, but if you compare it to Google / Bing…Tough bet.

Still, since it’s new independent indexing - it’s very good because other engines could start parsing it as well.

So far all the “important” stuff i’ve tried to search wasn’t suppressed or weird, let’s see where it goes with time :laughing:

P.S. I wouldn’t hold my breath as well, but whatever floats the boat of competition with current giants is definitely good :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

That I can certainly agree with.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Is he seriously telling us all of this from Windows…? :thinking:

1 Like

I am completely shocked that Brave would make marketing claims that weren’t backed up by their implementation.

:lying_face:

6 Likes

I just stumbled upon this one:

Has anyone already tried it? Any thoughts?

I use Presearch as default in FF. It is very good. Too bad I cannot get it to work in Bromite(Android). I have resorted to garuda’s searx or whoogle instances there. Since Runaroo went down, there aren’t many decent search engines using Google results.

Seems a bit outdated:
https://www.searchenginemap.com/

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

I think I will also give it a try and see how it fares. I use DDG as my default at the moment.

I have DDG there as well. But is it possible to add new search engines to Bromite to be used as default?

Yes you can but apparently presearch doesn’t meet chromium spec???

“This is a feature provided upstream by Chromium and Bromite does not change any aspect of it.”

1 Like

Good summary of pros & cons of various privacy search engines.

1 Like

Thanks.

PS. I tried mojeek since I had never heard of it and the results for a technical query were horrifically bad.

1 Like

DDG for Bing results and Startpage for Google results used to be good for privacy giving decent quality search results … but I cannot make myself trust Startpage since their acquisition.

2 Likes

I have the same problem but for the types of searches I do google provides much better results than bing. bing does all kinds of fuzzy searching even when the search terms are quoted. Because of that, I am always searching for the next great privacy search engine. :male_detective:

2 Likes