I seem to having unusual difficulties getting a printer to work on EndeavourOS. the unusual part is that it is Brother printer (normally simple to configure) and that I successfully got it, and its scanner going on my Arch install. Can’t seem to get it though, and I can’t even get localhost:631 to access things - and I can’t remember exactly what I did on the Arch install to get things going.
It would be easy enough to bypass all the (apparent) mistakes I must have made, and re-install Endeavour - after all, that’s easy! But, I had the thought that If I knew where things were located in more depth/accuracy, I might get away with “borrowing” the configuration from the Arch setup by copying the relevant files/dirs as approriate. Any helpful thoughts on that course of action?
PS - I have scripts to help rebuild the environment, so the re-install isn’t particularly intimidating, but strangely enough for guy running Arch, I am actually kinda lazy…
I’ll give that a try between periods (watching hockey…) as well as checking what’s installed. The printer is a DCP-7060D - and it is not in the AUR last I looked. The 8065 driver can work, but I managed the right driver last time (on Arch). Seem to remember following the Archwiki for the most part - but it doesn’t seem to help this time!
Still unable to get into localhost:631 - and I’m pretty sure that’s how I got it going on Arch a few months back. I use Brave and sometimes Firefox, and get nowhere with either. Here’s the Brave feedback
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
The other things are mostly just returning to the prompt without any information - but apparently the cups.service is not found. Which seems odd given the list-unit-files posted above…
I am getting closer to dumping it and starting from scratch in a more known condition. I figure the problems started from not just following the Archwiki and trying to do it ‘the easy way’. Did I mention that sometimes lazy factors in?
Maybe - but it gets further in than Firefox! On the fox I get blocked from localhost:631 - on Brave I get that, but I can’t make any selections (like admin or printers) without getting blocked. Oh well - tha game is over now, so maybe I’ll just blow this thing up
I could post the cups.conf, but it wouldn’t show anything useful now, as I did what I ‘threatened’ to do and blew this install up. It took less than an hour with all the installs and tweaking (and adding in conkys and such) so it wasn’t a big deal - except for not allowing the finding of what the heck was wrong. After the install, had no trouble getting both the printer and the scanner functions going - with the correct drivers too. Had to install a lib32 of some kind (not in front of me right now, on Arch), and brscan4 and the cupswrapper for my system from the AUR, and it fired right up (and I have cups access from localhost:631 working too in the process).
So - the problem is REsolved, if not solved, but I’ll mark it that way so people know not to worry about it
Yeah - I can’t really blame them for not going back to update drivers from long-ago models - would be quite a project to update them all to x86-64. I’m just happy they make drivers available for nearly everything in the first place - not all manufacturers do!
I’m still amazed at the price/value for these Brothers - peanuts for print/scan and copy!