Post Plasma6 cleanup

So…is there any reason to keep the k*5 and qt5 packages? Are they now dangling or good for backwards compatibility?
I will presume the rest of the ones with no dependencies may still be needed (like db and qt6-connectivity), but if anyone knows differently, please make me aware.
(list)> pacman -Qtdq

bluez-qt5
db
kactivities-stats5
kcmutils5
kcontacts5
kdelibs4support
kdesu5
kdnssd5
kdsoap-qt5
kholidays5
kidletime5
kimageannotator-qt5
kirigami-addons5
knotifyconfig5
kpeople5
krunner5
ktexteditor5
ldns
libical
libkdcraw5
libqaccessibilityclient-qt5
modemmanager-qt5
networkmanager-qt5
oxygen-sounds
purpose5
qqc2-desktop-style5
qt5-webengine
qt6-connectivity

1 Like

on my side there are also
plasma5-integration, breeze5, qt5-wayland, qt5-x11extras and many other things. Not sure if I am safe to delete them

I wonder if some of those packages may be optional dependencies of other packages installed on the system.

For example qt5-webengine is optional dependency of calligra 3.2.1-56.

I don’t think (or rather I am not sure if) pacman -Qtdq take into account optional dependencies.

I would look at them one by one and decide to remove them or not on a per case basis.

1 Like

Depends on what apps you use. For me digikam still depends on a few of them and I removed the rest without issues.

1 Like

I have removed all the orphans (-Qtd) yesterday after the update, and I’m fine so far.

1 Like

I did a bit of rtfm-ing :wink:

-d, --deps

Restrict or filter output to packages installed as dependencies. This option can be combined with -t for listing real orphans - packages that were installed as dependencies but are no longer required by any installed package.

-t, --unrequired

Restrict or filter output to print only packages neither required nor optionally required by any currently installed package.
Specify this option twice to include packages which are optionally, but not directly, required by another package.

So if my reading is not erroneous pacman -Qdt should not list any packages that are optional dependencies for other packages installed in the system.

However passing the -t flag twice, that is pacman -Qdtt should produce a list including also optional dependencies.

Please correct me if my reading is not correct.

2 Likes

Correct, I have not tried to remove the optional dependencies (pacman -Qdtt). Here is what I get:

• appstream-qt5
  • breeze5
  • krunner5
  • plasma5-integration
  • qt5-sensors

I guess I can safely remove them as well, provided that I have not installed them myself.

1 Like

Well, I’ll take actions and see if anything breaks (if I ever try to use whatever might break again…for that matter) :slight_smile: