Please revise the installer to add vmd to modules

detection will be smarter, also we do test already and enable it per default should not cause issues …
DO you know what Manjaro does to enable it? they are using MHWD or doing it in calamares itself?

Hmm…should be easy enough to check, let me look.

i just have some tasks on my list and I am already got code overflow in my head :exploding_head:
In addition I have no clue on Manjaro framework.

Apparently not easy to check…

I don’t see it in mhwd which makes sense because I think that is mostly for network and video drivers. I also don’t see it in their copy of calamares.

EDIT: @joekamprad, it looks like the patched the mkinitcpio package itself.

so we should go upstream two levels and do a pull request directly https://github.com/archlinux/mkinitcpio/pull/60 someone has done that already :wink:

discourse try to force me:
2021-10-23_16-51

1 Like

Is also interesting to read… And it looks like it would be best to have this directly in mkinitcpio.
But we will not go to patch it I think.
But it looks like archdevs are not interested in adding this upstream. Or do they go more in the way to support dracut?

Wow I’m really glad this is getting attention, this is really confusing for me I tried to install endeavor five times. It never get it to boot correctly I’m sorry, funny thing is I did get Manjaro latest to work, but that file does not have anything about modules vmd in it!! I don’t know how they’re doing it maybe in kernel??

I’m just wondering if this could be a fix for endeavor I’m just trying to help you guys out I really appreciate the attention on this one.

If you had asked me i could have helped on this one. I have dealt with it a number of times. Getting hardware info from people is hard though. :wink:

Wait what? Our iso does? :scream:

yes, I do start together with @ricklinux to research a solution, but the first round fails as it does not work with the way calamares handle mkinitcpio generation. Now with some other info, we can check if we can find a solution.

the patch is changing mkinitcpio to load the module per default so it is not inside the mkinitcpio.conf MODULES= () line

1 Like

yes even with what archiso uses per default :wink:
indeed only on UEFI systems legacy will use syslinux

soystemd… :sob:

You don’t have to start crying right away! Systemd will take care of everything … even the kernel one day :crazy_face:

systemd is your friend!

No it’s absolutely not! :grimacing:

Would you rather get Grubbed! :wink:

1 Like

yes i do agree it does not behave like a friend… more like a friendly terminator. :space_invader:
But … can it handle kernel image generation? and add vmd module with a service ?

And bring silo full of soy & problems with it, yes… :laughing:

@ricklinux
More like as our friend @TurkeyJohn would say Grubble-Grubble :turkey: :laughing:

2 Likes

We should create a discussion about that at calamares?
And where does it gets the if variables from ? to detect vmd is needed I need to add such or I am at a lost island?

Given what a small change it is, you could submit a PR and use that as the discussion starter.

Although, given what we have learned it seems like it should probably be done by the distro. It might be easier to just to add the one line in a tiny patch and move on with your life. Since it is such a small change, I suppose it is not a big deal either way. :man_shrugging:

1 Like