Playing around with a secondary Distro: Fedora or Pop?

Basically, as you might have noticed, I have been running Pop on bare metal since tuesday morning. It is gorgeous, the amount of polish is amazing… but it is sluggish as heck.
It really really shouldn’t be, I don’t know what’s going on.

Anyway, basically I had narrowed it down to either Pop or Fedora workstation and am about to wipe Pop early because of this. Anyone having any experiences with Fedora they want to share?

Fedora is my backup distro in case something ever goes completely sideways and I can’t run an Arch-based distro.

I tried running it for a month as my primary OS and because I was lazy, ended up running it for several months. Honestly, I had no major issues and if I had to use it permanently it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Pros:

• Easy to swap out DEs
  • Since it is static it was nice to be able to install software without worrying about updating first
  • Conversely, it was fairly up-to-date because it they cut a new version every 6 months with very recent software
  • It has support for selinux which I hadn’t played with in a while
  • It supports automatic, unattended updates if you are into that kind of thing

Cons:

• Like most distros that aren’t Arch-based, be prepared to spend time adding a bunch of different repos to get all your software from or use flatpaks
  • dnf/rpm are really nice but complicated operations will have a learning curve
  • The are many more knowledgeable people accessible in the broader Arch community. Getting support for complicated issues on Fedora isn’t always easy.
5 Likes

I used it a week or so ago (Fedora that is) … thought it was pretty slick … would have stuck around as it seems a good mix of up-to-date and stable …

Only switched back to arch based (right here) as I couldn’t be bothered learning to make .rpm packges for a few things I was after (custom wine build and something else) . If you stick to flatpacks rather than digging up repos then it would be an easy life … once the patches are merged into wine then I would have no issue hanging there … I also have no problem with stock GNOME

1 Like

Aloha Bearded friend,
my backup distro for EOS is another EOS. :slight_smile:

No, shit, as an honest ersatz for my EOS I aways keep a USB stick with (Debian) Sparky semi-rolling at hand. Also astonishingly well and spunky on my test machine did the SuSE derivative Gecko. And, always clever, always working, all-in-one Mint.

None of the other 3 million available distros will do.

1 Like

I am like @dalto. Fedora is my go to back up OS. Of course, I am a little biased. Fedora was the Distro I went to when Mandriva imploded. I can’t add anything to what was stated in their post. They covered everything quite well.

2 Likes

If I bought a 5950X I’d try Gentoo :wink:

1 Like

Running MX on my desktop that is hardly used, only for music and printing.
Very stable and therefore no fun. :joy:

4 Likes

Picked Fedora; Pop looks amazing but suffered from horrible sluggishnesh. And I don’t know why. When asking on their forum I did get a few replies from others that had to install third party kernels to solve the issue.

So, fedora it is. The only thing I am missing from it right now is MPV, and I know why; wayland and the dispute with the MPV maintainer.

2 Likes

I just run triple boot EOS on rEFInd. Works for me.

1 Like

Fedora is fine if you just want a workstation and run with it. But…it’s no fun like Eos! :rocketa_purple: :enos_flag: :enos:

5 Likes