PIcked up a RX 6700 xt graphics card today to replace the old nVidia card

Currently running an Nvidia 1060 and realizing I’m not sure how to proceed. Just for familiarity’s sake, I tried using the EOS script to revert to the nouveau drivers with…

nvidia-installer-dkms -n
(also uninstalled Steam first to avoid the conflict on the uninstall of the 32 bit stuff)

While nouveau did install, it hung on boot. I had to alt-F2 to get a new login terminal and reinstall nvidia to the desktop back. Maybe missing a step? mkinitcpio -P maybe? hesitate to guess unless I can find documentation.

Anyway, having a hard time finding solid direction on how to best proceed. Is it as simple as removing all things nvidia, swapping cards, and rebooting? I have found things about removing Xorg.conf first, but I can’t find that file on my system. I do find folders called Xorg.conf.d in /etc/X11 and /usr/share/X11.

Probably wait until this weekend to put the card in but, advice is appreciated while I try to find better documentation on how to prep my system for the change.

The only thing you would need to remove is any file under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ that references the NVIDIA driver, or any section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf that mentions NVIDIA (or just remove xorg.conf entirely). Xorg and Wayland will automatically use the correct driver for the detected device.

You can remove the NVIDIA driver packages later, or not, it won’t make any difference to anything.

2 Likes

I don’t have an Xorg.conf in /etc/X11 and nothing referencing nVidia in the etc/X11/xorg.conf.d folder.

I do have “10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf” in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d Should I get rid of / rename that one?

No, that’s in nvidia-utils so will be removed if/when you remove that package.

If you have already removed nvidia-dkms then you might as well remove this as it has a blacklist file that prevents nouveau from being used.

I wound up putting it back to I could get to my desktop but, now I know why nouveau wasn’t working. Thanks :).

1 Like

Came home early from work and installed it. In the end, it was actually pretty trivial but, while I’m perfectly happy to play “F–k around and find out” with my distro-tester PC, I tend to be a bit more cautious with the one I need to rely one. :wink: I have learned to always check the knowledge base first.

1 Like

So i bet your happy with that card?

Compared to what I had, this thing’s a beast. Steam is working better as well. The card dropped over $300 in price so I just had to do it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a GTX 1060 And an RX590 so I’m jealous! :laughing:

1 Like