PCIE Error resulting in no GUI/ instant freezing after boot

nothing to be seen.

yes it does not respond at all no mouse neither am i able to get into the no gui mode

i’ve only added Gnome because i favor it but i will try without it. the rest of the installation is standard set on overwrite one partition.

Are you overwriting files or formatting the partition first?

This is understandable, but if the live environment works (which uses Xfce) then it makes sense to see whether the same thing works when installed on your laptop (i.e. use the “offline install” option).

well i only selected the preset option for replace a partition and as it seems it formats first then installs

i will try it without gnome

2 Likes

now it does not start the GUI at all (starts in tty)

Which kernel does the installer image have?

Linux 5.13.12-arch1 x86_64
is given back when i check for it

@jonathon would it be worth trying LTS?

Yes, this was the next thing.

Run

sudo pacman -Syu linux-lts linux-lts-headers

then reboot and select the LTS kernel from the boot menu.

it still starts in tty
but i checked the LTS is now the active kernel

1 Like

some information:
the last Release ISO is already pre-Nvidia-495 and has an 470 Nvidia driver in use… resulting in the fact that you can boot with a legacy card, but after using online install it will have Nvidia 495 installed on target what will not work with legacy card.
The installer is detecting if you booted LiveISO on Nvidia drivers and install these if so if detected boot on Nouveau it will not install Nvidia Drivers on target (independent from online/offline) BUT if you install offline from Nvidia Boot option system will use the same image as the live session resulting in having older kernel and 470 Nvidia installed on the target, till you go update the system.

But using default boot option from ISO should not fail to startx also on optimus systems.
(using nvidia modesetting driver from kernel)

does this mean it most likely has nothing to do with the GPU?

The default grub entry will install with Nouveau open source drivers. The non-free will install with Nvidia. I would suggest installing with the default entry for Nouveau open source drivers then install the Nvidia drivers after which are the 470 version from the AUR.

It means it’s installing Nvidia current drivers which do not support your card anymore.

so I should try installing the nonfree option install it, then install the correct drivers and see if it works?

No… you try installing with the default entry in the grub menu. Not non-free!

well that was exactly what i did. The selection was just on the non-free on the picture i selected default

Oh… okay? :thinking:

Edit: So you haven’t installed any nvidia drivers then yet?

and your outputs show that it was not able to startx … but all is still only looking into magic ball :slight_smile:
You could check what driver is installed from TTY and install what is missing also without reinstalling.

And if you do not have Nvidia Drivers installed it could be also setting in Bios that is interfering like some can set intel or Nvidia GPU to be used per default…

check what is installed:
pacman -Qs nvidia

Just to see the exact model of the Nvidia card, could you show the result of command

nvidia-driver-supported-branches -a

WIN_20211128_18_05_28_Pro
@manuel

2 Likes