Pavucontrol detects microphone, only hissing sound comes out

edit: don’t mind this, i got the microphone back using pavucontrol… i still have the same hissing noise though. :confused:

Alsamixer F5: Mic AND Capture unmuted and showing some level?

1 Like

yep, both are unmuted.

Why does the little speaker at the top right have a red line through it. Is it muted?

Pudge

The only thing I’m seeing different to mine is Internal on 0. Mine is 22 but I’m not even sure what that is doing!

it’s not muted, it gets muted if i press it. the volume at the bottom “bounces” whenever i make a noise, but i tried recording audio and the hissing is still there.

The only thing I’m seeing different to mine is Internal on 0. Mine is 22 but I’m not even sure what that is doing!

that’s strange, but you guys know more about this stuff than i do.

Got it! (I think!): On your last post Audio Interno and Monitor of Audio Interno. On the buttons the mic is set to Mute. Try clicking on them to unmute them.

they aren’t muted, i think: clicked on both of them, tried different combinations but nothing changed. one thing worth nothing is that if i mute the first one nothing happens, the sound coming from my browser is still playing. (this is on the input devices tab)

OK, System Settings> Audio: Recording Devices. Is it set to Internal Microphone and is that unmuted?

this is the KDE settings. it says the internal microphone is unplugged :confused:
i’m entirely certain this isn’t a hardware issue by the way, since i had it working on manjaro before i distrohopped today.

Ouch! That seems where the problem is. I know it sounds a bit crazy, but poweroff, then reboot and see if the problem still exists :man_shrugging:

just rebooted, everything seems the same. the KDE volume setting still says my internal mic is unplugged. :frowning:

That is so weird, because Manjaro and EnOS are both Arch based and as far as I know Manjaro do not change anything within Plasma apart from looks, or any audio settings. I don’t think Endeavour does either because it just uses the Arch repos apart from a few additions. It’s a mystery to me at the moment. I shall have to leave this for now and think about it. There must be a solution though. There is something we are missing! :wink:

yeah it’s really strange, i’ve used my fair share of distros in the past and this is the first time i encounter this problem. i hope you, i or anyone that’s reading this can find a solution, as obvious as it may be. if nothing pops up i’m afraid i’ll have to jump back into manjaro for the time being, since virtually not having a microphone is a pretty big issue (even more so now that i have video meetings and such). it’s getting late in here, i leave this open in case anyone is so kind to chime in; i’ll try your solutions as soon as i can. :confused:

1 Like

One more suggestion before I go: Is this being run in a VM or dual boot? If so something outside may be stealing your audio. (Just a thought, it can happen).

1 Like

@plexure
Did you look in pulseaudio volume control to set input/output?

What is the output of
yay -Qs pulse
yay -Qs pipe
yay -Qs gst-

Try:

rm -rf ~/.config/pulse

Then reboot, that worked for me a few times. The files get recreated.

1 Like

onto day 2…
i’m currently running EOS on metal, this is the only OS running on this machine.

this is pavucontrol on the “input devices” tab. as you can see it says my internal microphone is unplugged, even though my volume “bounces” whenever i make a sound. so it’s like it detects it, but at the same time it doesn’t.