Pamac gui window issue

Hello,

I noticed a few days ago a problem when trying to resize the pamac manager window vertically. In fact I can only reduce it by a very little amount and the window exceeds the bottom of the screen, and as a result, the “apply” button can’t be seen or pressed when performing updates or installing programs. I can still install an individual program by clicking on it and select “install” in its own page.
Edit : no, in fact I can’t install any program from its own page, clicking on the install button does nothing.

Anyone else with this issue?
Thanks.

I haven’t had any issues with Pamac ever since I stopped using it (I was still using Manjaro when I decided to get rid of Pamac). Life is better now, at least when it comes to package management on Arch-based distros. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’m not using gui package managers at all. But if you want one, Bauh might be an alternative. It’s in the AUR. I’m suggesting it, because I hear of problems with Pamac all the time.

I switched to Octopi. No problems at all. :wink:

what DE/WM ?

Cinnamon. But I tried xfce, mate and cutefish with the same result.

And which of the various pamac versions are are you using?

pacman -Qs pamac

2021-11-22_13-23

2021-11-22_13-23_1

2021-11-22_13-24

cinnamon pamac-aur-git no issue

Could be the theme currently used on your install, or an issue with display is hdpi?
xrandr | eos-sendlog
And a trick :wink:
you can grab and move a window by holding Alt key and grab the window with left mouse button.

2 Likes

I have the following error in the terminal :

(process:51551): As-WARNING **: 17:00:36.993: Ignoring invalid AppStream file /usr/share/app-info/xmls/extra.xml.gz: Failed to parse /usr/share/app-info/xmls/extra.xml.gz file: Error on line 162322 char 6: <p> already set '
      In addition to that, it allows to easily generate AppStream data for projects which do not need a more complex data
      generator like ' and tried to replace with '.
    '

(pamac-manager:51551): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 17:00:37.572: gdk_window_set_cursor: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

Now, the output of the command xrandr :

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767
DVI-D-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 531mm x 299mm
   1920x1080     60.00*+  59.94    50.00    60.00    50.04  
   1680x1050     59.95  
   1600x1200     60.00  
   1440x900      59.89  
   1280x1024     60.02  
   1280x960      60.00  
   1280x720      59.94    50.00  
   1152x720      60.00  
   1024x768      60.00  
   800x600       60.32    56.25  
   720x576       50.00  
   720x480       59.94  
   640x480       59.94    59.93

Finally, I tried to grab the window with alt key, but it is overlapping the bottom of the screen and gets blocked anyway on top of it. Weird…

This little script should fix the error you are getting. If there’s trouble after using it, you can simply reinstall your pamac app.

#!/bin/bash

# Fix /usr/share/app-info/xmls/extra.xml.gz for pamac-manager.

DIE() {
    echo "Error: $@" >&2
    exit 1
}

Exe() {
    "$@" || DIE "$@ failed"
}

Main() {
    [ $(id -u) -eq 0 ] || DIE "must run as root"

local dir=/usr/share/app-info/xmls
    local file=extra.xml

Exe mkdir -p $dir/foobar
    Exe cd $dir/foobar
    Exe cp -a ../$file.gz .
    Exe gunzip $file.gz
    Exe cp $file $file.old
    Exe sed -i $file -e "s|<code>|'|" -e "s|</code>|'|"
    diff $file.old $file
    Exe gzip $file
    Exe cp -a $file.gz ..
    Exe cd ..
    Exe rm -rf $dir/foobar
}

Main
2 Likes

Thanks, your script worked. I don’t get the first error anymore. Nevertheless, I still get

(pamac-manager:63646): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 17:40:24.907: gdk_window_set_cursor: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

and my window size issue persists.

Closest thread I found was this one on the manjaro forum, but no solution given (“fixed by itself”).

I have no issue on pamac gui window. Is most likely not pamac itself.

I guess I’m left the obvious that may have been missed… what resolution are you running on. Is it possible that the minimum that pamac allows exceeds your screen maximum as currently set? Just wondering… :grin:

If this is possible it can be checked by changing your current resolution to a higher value - more precise instruction only possible if I knew what DE you were running, and on what…

Resolution:

Desktop environment:

Did you turn off Window Effects in Effects on Cinnamon?

I don’t use Pamac in EndeavourOS, but I have pamac-all installed on another Arch-based operating system, on a virtual machine. So I did some experimenting there.

When you click the Install button, there is no obvious feedback (as there should be with a well-designed user interface). However, clicking the Install button does something: It adds the installation task for the application you’re viewing to a list of pending operations. At the bottom of the Pamac window, there should be a status bar that displays, at first, “1 pending operation,” and then “2 pending operations,” etc.

(In my opinion, the current Pamac user interface is terrible. Among the many problems I see, there should be immediate, obvious feedback for every action the users takes, especially adding an installation task to the list of pending operations. Also, I don’t immediately see an obvious way to view a list of pending operations and then, from that list, remove a pending operation.)

The status bar I mentioned above also includes the Apply button you can’t see. So I imagine that you also cannot see the tally of pending operations.

When I reduce the size of the Pamac window vertically by even a large amount, the status bar (with the Apply button and tally of pending operations) remains at the bottom of the window at its original height, always visible on the screen. At some point during the resizing, when the window is about 400 pixels high, the window won’t shrink vertically any further, but even then the status bar remains at its original height.

So I can’t reproduce your problem. Even with screen scaling set as high as 200%, I can always see the entire Pamac window, including the status bar and the Apply button.

With your mouse, can you drag the Pamac window higher so that the status bar is visible on the screen? On the Pamac window, you would click the top bar, in any empty space to the left or right of the Browse/Install/Updates buttons. (With Xfce, you can also move a window by pressing the Alt key and then grabbing/dragging any part of the window, not only the top/title bar.)

There were a few folks on the Manjaro telegram having very similar issues yesterday. It’ll likely be fixed soon.

2 Likes

I am running manjaro on my laptop and no issue.

No. It’s impossible. Window is blocked by the upper side of the screen.