Pacman throwing errors on a clean install

The title says it all. Brand new install.

The first thing I did after the installation was select the update mirrors option in the Welcome Dialogue and then update the system and it kicked out the following warnings/errors.

:: Synchronizing package databases…
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
endeavouros is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade…
:: Replace crda with core/wireless-regdb? [Y/n] Y
:: Replace hwids with core/hwdata? [Y/n] Y
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: jack2 and pipewire-jack are in conflict

AUR update check:
:: Searching AUR for updates…
→ Missing AUR Packages: crda hwids
there is nothing to do

Press ENTER to close this window:

Not familiar with Pacman yet but needless to say given this a clean install spooked that it is already throwing error/conflicts.

Thanks for the assistance.

Run the following command to removejack2 first

sudo pacman -Rdd jack2

Then run:

sudo pacman -Syu

By the way, what ISO did you use to install EnOS?
An off-line install?
This issue is quite an old one by now so I suspect you used an old ISO.

3 Likes

https://forum.endeavouros.com/search?q=%20jack2%20and%20pipewire-jack%20are%20in%20conflict

You might want to reinstall using an installer that was released more recently. Not sure why people use old installer images… :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Might not be used to rolling release distributions? :person_shrugging:

Not sure - you wouldn’t normally install Ubuntu 20.04 then update it to 22.04?

1 Like

thats really weird having a reference to aur on a clean install even with an older .iso. Aur wouldn’t be referenced or certainly shouldn’t be anyway as the base install has nothing from aur in it. Very weird.

1 Like

Could just be using yay to run the update, I guess.

Look at what the packages referenced are:

The reason is that the packages were on the install ISO, but were recently replaced by other packages. Both crda and hwids have been dropped from the repos (having been replaced by wireless-regdb and hwdata), but the packages are still present on the system, so they are treated as foreign packages - i.e., yay assumes they were AUR packages.

4 Likes

right, thank you, that makes sense. So if something is dropped from the Arch’s extra/core/community etc., pacman assumes they’re from AUR. Must be a well old .iso, as i loaded the previous one yesterday. c’est la vie.

1 Like

Yes. In this case, the update was not completed (due to the jack2 and pipewire-jack conflict). But the package database has been synced (updated), and crda and hwids are no longer in the repos - but they’re still installed, because the update didn’t happen. Since they’re not in the repos, they are considered foreign packages.

error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: jack2 and pipewire-jack are in conflict

Had the update completed, the packages would have been uninstalled, so there would have been no message about “missing AUR packages.”

3 Likes

Some people just want to watch the world burn :fire:

1 Like

That was the issue. I used EndeavourOS_Atlantis_neo-21_5 offline which is what I had originally downloaded but then wasn’t able to install immediately. I should have thought to check for an updated ISO.

I actually need to sort out some partitioning stuff as well so will just start over with the most recent ISO EndeavourOS_Apollo_22_1.iso. Thanks for the assist.

1 Like

Nah. I just missed that there was a new ISO. I am familiar with rolling releases. Been on Gentoo for about 15 years now. It was a pain if one waited an inordinately long period of time between updates. But other than that generally didn’t have issues. I’m assuming ARCH plays nice as well on that front? Or should I update the box fairly often?

Frequent is strongly recommended. I haven’t had any major hiccups the few times I’ve waited to update my desktop, however.

1 Like

This would be a good place to start. You can modify to fit your needs however you see fit though.

3 Likes

My bad. I should have done a search on the Forums. Was distracted because this thread started to go off on tangents…of my own making. LOL. Thanks.

Simple! Mark the SOLUTION and start a new thread on your next issue :smiling_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.