Pacman keys

Why is there an option to refresh pacman keys in the installer? This is the case with Manjaro as well. But there’s no mention of that in the Arch install guide on Arch wiki.

Edit:
To clarify I’m after the technical explanation as to why and not that it should be there or not.

Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Since when?

Not sure but I’ve only installed with Manjaro-Architect and it always had that in the menu

Ahh yes the good old Carl Duff architect. It all goes back to installing arch the arch way. Basically an old or unsigned key can cause a problem updating. The calamares installer included with EndeavourOS does this during the install.

1 Like

In recent discussions it might be redundant.

So when installing the Arch way you don’t do that? but can cause issues?

What do you mean “it might be redundant”?

Edit:
Sorry can’t figure out how to quote a reply

It’s 6 am here I need :coffee: . If you really wish to understand you should try installing arch the arch way. It’s very educational :hugs:

Ah ha, it’s night here :slight_smile: I actually know how to install Arch. it’s just I like to try new things and I see some convinience when using GUIs sometimes. Like pamac :wink:

1 Like

I can’t wrap my head around why Arch install guide doesn’t mention it.

It probably does just hyperlinked to seven different wiki pages :woozy_face:

1 Like

There is an article about pacman keys but it’s definitely not in their install guide. Anyways thanks for your responses.

Arch’s installer uses the keyring on the ISO, which is updated monthly. As long as you use a current ISO, you should be fine.

4 Likes

Pacman avoids key problems during updates because archlinux-keyring gets updated first [if needed] before downloading other packages.

Thanks @anon22434355 That’s the answer I was looking for. However I actually installed Arch (using this month’s ISO) just a moment ago to see what happens if I run those commands. It actually disabled some keys. So, if it supposed to happen automatically why did that happen? When I didn’t run the commands I didn’t see any keys getting disabled.

welcome

1 Like

welcome

1 Like

1 Like