Pacman 6.0 update breaks aur

I decided to reinstall eos-kde and see what would happen with this issue. So it installed with pacman 6 no yay. I had nothing on my system so it really doesn’t matter to me.

What i ended up doing on my other installs is remove pamac first then remove yay and update to pacman 6.0. Then i installed trizen for now to use as an AUR helper and I’ll see what happens with yay and pamac.

They’ll be along soon - just needing to be built against the new libraries. I think you guys are just victims of excessive updating reflexes! I just didn’t do the update to pacman yet, and won’t until the other things are ‘fixed’ (they aren’t really broken, just not up-to-the-second). In the meantime, yay works fine - and I can use yay-Sua to update the AUR stuff only in the meantime too. Or, paru, or aura or…

Patience people! Even Arch wasn’t built in a day…

1 Like

I just wanted to see for myself what would happen. If i break it and i can’t fix it then i have to reinstall it. :laughing:

2 Likes

Yes, if you touch the burner right after cooking on it - it lives up to its name! :grin:

2 Likes

Yay is working i just reinstalled it now.

[ricklinux@eos-kde ~]$ yay
[sudo] password for ricklinux: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 endeavouros is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do
:: Searching databases for updates...
:: Searching AUR for updates...
 there is nothing to do
[ricklinux@eos-kde ~]$ 

It is breaking testing and not testing. Yay is in endeavouros repo: why not updating this package so that everyone can get it without fiddling with manual build?

Also yay works fine after a rebuild with pacmac 6 :wink: even says it in the PKGBUILD

I think the problem is it is NOT a source code change that is neccessary. It only has to be build against updated libraries. So no “new version” neccessary. Possibly adding an “a” to the version number?

Been using Pikaur for some time but it fails too…

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 endeavouros is up to date
 m-m is up to date
 m-aur is up to date
 m-more2 is up to date

:: Starting full AUR upgrade...
Reading repository package databases...
Reading local package database...
:: installing pacman (6.0.0-2) breaks dependency 'pacman<5.3' required by pamac-aur-git

Reading AUR packages info...

:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing pacman (6.0.0-2) breaks dependency 'pacman<5.3' required by pamac-aur-git
Command 'sudo pacman --color=always --sync --sysupgrade' failed to execute.
Do you want to retry? [Y/n] 

Already rebuild in EndeavourOS repo.

3 Likes

Calm down people. Your hair is not on fire, and the world is not ending. Welcome to an Arch-based distro. Yes, EnOS provides you tools to easily manage your install, but sometimes those tools will break. Even with these tools, you should still know the basics. The fix takes only a minute or so of your time. Then everything works as it should. And, yes. You can delete the folder created in the fix, and yay will still update normally in the future.

3 Likes

Just complete the update - no partial sync is needed

Then clone yay

git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/yay.git

Then rebuild

cd yay
makepkg -i

Done and done.

1 Like

Why this when yay is already rebuild in EnOS repo?

1 Like

Yay has been already rebuilt by @manuel and it is available on the endeavourOS repo. Just reinstall it with the pacman command.

5 Likes

NEVER do that. You’ll break your system. AUR is optional, not pacman. Just use yay-git for now.

There should be no need to use yay-git.

The yay in the EOS repos has been updated and if you are on Arch, you can should be able to rebuild the package yay.

2 Likes

Oops! My bad. I forget endeavouros own repository.

4 Likes