Our little gnome turns 40

Yeah, I was just reading on this reddit thread about how the 40 packages are only starting to dribble into the stable repo.

Any issues with desktop theming?

Not that I had noticed, but I can’t say I’ve tried adjusting a theme yet.

Gnome 40 doesn’t really get me interested in Gnome. Tried the new Fedora 34 Beta and it’s same just Gnome to me. Gnome is Gnome and I’d rather use Xfce or Cinnamon or KDE or Mate. I don’t hate it. I just prefer others.

1 Like

This one?

2 Likes

yes. Saw it today as well. Looks like it was published one day later. A well done video in my opinion.

1 Like

Man, I really wish Fedora had some sort of hibernation setup included with their installer. It’s strange. There’s very little information on hibernate in Fedora 33 at all.

i think it’s because since F33 no swap partition gets created anymore. They use zram now. It’s a little exra work now to get it working

been there…!

I’ve always liked the Gnome 3 workflow. I think that Gnome 40 looks far better, that’s for sure, and it also is far easier to navigate with the touchpad. However, trying it for a while, it’s really just not as productive for me; I’m used to vertical workspaces, plus the animations feel worse with larger amounts of windows and window previews are smaller. I might just fork Gnome 3.38 and call it gnome 30 :wink:

1 Like

I’m spending a little time with Gnome 40 from [gnome-unstable] - I did have to turn off extensions, but I expected that running from unstable. I think I kind of like it so far, though it really isn’t feeling that different to me.
Screenshot from 2021-03-28 13-52-58
Screenshot from 2021-03-28 13-53-43

2 Likes