Options on how to update

Spending a time here and yep all good except not 100% on updating and after reading so many posts this quote says it best how I am
https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/6310/93
this part is how i am now
‘‘scanning over the various (hundreds) options on how to update, I would be like’’… :flushed: :thinking: :confounded: :crazy_face: :anguished: :cold_sweat: :exploding_head: :laughing:

so I ask this
when i install verified EOS kde only OS on ssd
it installs and updates as most OS’s do there will be updates soon after so is this a good way of
updating the system that will have a few aur apps also

do a backintime before timeshift ( BITBTS ) run before updating
ssd in tower only holds the OS / and home
then two ext HD one for music the other for paperwork
then another 3rd ext HD to store the BITBTS’s

I’ve gotten used to this routine and if all apps are shut down Timeshift works beautifully
do updates 2 to 3 days apart
before opening tty check news here https://www.archlinux.org/
then open
tty = ctrl + alt + f2 passwords etc once finished reboot
would that work OK
I know this look familiar too … would this work without cooking the install because there are so many ways it seems to update the system bit confusing.
Any advice will be appreciated
Thank You

what you are writing is looking more like a complete backup system update routine question :wink:
System updates can brake your system sure, so it is smart to take some time to read the news on archlinux-news and on the forum here and then do the update proceed with may needed tasks to do caused by the news… and you will be fine.

No need to do all updates when there are rolling in, if you do updates once a week you will be totally o.k. this will help to skip some issues and get the package updates when issues are solved already…

Let say take sunday and calculate 1 1/2 hour for this, you can do your backups before that also, or automate it (what you should do, no one like to take care on backups manually)

2 Likes

I take daily timeshift snapshots. I typically don’t read the news on www.archlinux.org, unless I encounter a problem.

I just open a terminal emulator (I use Konsole, btw) and type:

cu

This runs my "checkupdates; yay -Qua" wrapper. If it says that I need to reboot after updating, I take note of that.

Then I run:

yay

and enter my password. I let everything update, I check the diffs in PKGBUILD for the AUR packages, etc… Then, if cu told me to reboot, I reboot.

I do this every other day or so, when I remember to do it and I’m not in the middle of doing something.

On Manjaro, I used to do updates in the TTY, but now I noticed there is no need for that on a pure Arch system. If something breaks, there’s timeshift, but so far, I haven’t had any problems with updating (I don’t use GNOME, so that’s probably why :wink: ).

2 Likes

Thanks @joekamprad for the fast reply and yeah it looks a bit overdone , hardware breakdown in the past had lost a lot lot of files so these days better overdo and safe than lose data,

Um good idea Sunday morning less people around here online ( have some extreme heavy user around here )
Time updates take is not important updates take priority

so recapping
do my BITBTS
read the Archlinux news and EOS news for issues
do updates inc aur with TTY as 1st post and reboot
finished done
and Thank You @joekamprad

3 Likes

@Kresimir I think that I’ll have to try this sounds very cool, will bookmark page and save to pdf later on just before logging off, so can have a read when offline during the week, I’m always doing something around here, I don’t understand the word “bored” not while young and certainly now I’m old.

3 Likes

I do hourly :joy: :wink:

timeshift only backs system files.

create a separate job to backup user data (grsync - a gui to rsync).

Yeah ,you can create different sessions for backing up files .
I am using different executable files with necessary rsync commands and back them up too :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: