Optimus Switch - Another Solution for Optimus Laptops

My understanding was with the 2xxx series GTX cards, there is an additional powersave state which effectively shuts down most of the card. P15 I think (Edited from P12)? Whereas an idling GTX 1xxx whatever will sit at P8

1 Like

https://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/450.57/README/dynamicpowermanagement.html

I’m not super crazy :wink: It’s the Turing GPUs, you can enable dynamic power management with the nvidia-prime setup which will truly throttle down the video card. SO it’s the 16xx and the 2xxx series

It’s classified as “Experimental” which I guess isn’t anything new as far as nvidia’s linux support goes.

1 Like

Yeah, even 10 bit per channel displays are still experimental in their proprietary driver book… :upside_down_face:

I was wondering what happens when there is a kernel or driver update to the Optimus Switch solution

A lot of unprofessional attitudes here today.

1 Like

I wasnt having a bad attitued I was just courious as I am intersted in this method

I’m 99% sure that wasn’t in response to anything you said, but stuff that was said in here several hours ago. I think your question is perfectly legit, hopefully somebody with more knowledge than myself can answer it for you.

1 Like

I wasn’t referring to you. I was avoiding responding to any specific people by responding to your post. My apologies!

Edit: realized it’s not your post. I’m no longer sorry. :joy:

@theremper This solution is not affected by kernel changes. I have gone from 4.17.x to 5.8.x without any issues.

3 Likes

I just want to shed some light on the discussion between @Alexander @Kresimir @tbg and @linesma.

It is very common for changes in the software that involves core functions, like graphic card software, to reboot the system to take effect, even on Windows and Macos.

Since this thread is a community contribution, I completely understand the reactions over here and it wouldn’t hurt to explain or question a certain feature in packages in general or ask a poster what he/she meant with a finding.

To be clear, I’m not putting blames here, I’m just pointing out that it would be more pleasant for everyone over here and especially for yourself to explain what you mean and if it isn’t clear, just ask the person for an explanation.

We already are living in a stressful time, let’s not make it more stressful than necessary, by wasting energy you could use for other fun things. :wink:

7 Likes

I don’t think any blame should be assigned to anyone. I don’t believe anyone had any intention of being rude here.

Usually, things like this happen when a user (who is not a mod) starts to complain about someone being rude, instead of just ignoring or flagging the post. Then everyone else (definitely including me) feels compelled to chip in and state our opinions, and so the topic gets derailed. I speak for myself, here, I can’t really help myself, when I see what I perceive as “injustice”, I cannot ignore it.

I have nothing but respect, admiration, and gratitude for the work @dglt and @linesma did with this, and also for the fact that very few people in the Linux community have helped as many newbies as @tbg has (including me, I owe that guy several beers).

And @keybreak is a good friend, and we already discussed this in a PM, so there are no hard feelings :frog:

8 Likes

I have tried all of the different solutions for Optimus on my laptop and this has been the only one that works with no issues. Really grateful that @dglt and @linesma created this and for all the help they, and everyone else provide in getting it installed.

5 Likes

You do on Windows! :rofl: Everytime you update!

1 Like

My dude, you’re replying to a user that last logged in here in almost a year on a thread that’s over 2 years old. Are you doing copious amounts of maple syrup shots again? I’ve told you dude, you gotta lay off the sauce :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Well here is the problem. For whatever reason these posts come up in the menu somehow and i just respond not realizing until it’s too late. I don’t like deleting things because they still show. I wish when i delete something it’s gone! But it’s not so i just leave it. Yes you can laugh at me! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Edit: Time for some more Pancakes and lots of syrup!

4 Likes

@ricklinux You just need hockey season to start up and all will be good in the world.

(I am from Iowa in the US originally)

3 Likes

Yeah, I get random posts sometimes showing a new notification on older post when I’ve gone back and read or re-read old posts. Always felt like it was some kind of bug to me when that happens to be honest, but it doesn’t happen that often.

TIL, @ricklinux doesn’t read things before posting :stuck_out_tongue: (kidding of course!) :broccoli:

1 Like

It actually happens a lot for some reason. Usually i catch it but not always.

2 Likes

Who Watches The Watchmen? Who Watches the EndeavourOS Moderators? @Scotty_Trees does now apparently :broccoli: :maple_leaf:

They have all the power
:muscle:t4:

1 Like