Optimus Manager issues

@dglt helped me install this on my Manjaro install and I never had a problem with it. @linesma indicator also worked flawlessly.

One good thing about EOS is that it actually booted with the base drivers. Manjaro, at least at the time, wouldn’t. That made it much harder.

I’m pretty sure my next computer will be AMD.

2 Likes

@shockwave To uninstall a program in Arch… sudo pacman -R optimus-manager and then make sure you have the nVidia driver installed. Then you can follow the rest of @dglt’s guide.

It has worked flawlessly for me for over a year and a half now. First on Manjaro and then on Arch. I mainly keep my laptop running on the nVidia card. I think I have only switched to the Intel card one time. Since this solution will turn off the nVidia card when you are in Intel mode, your battery life will increase. Just keep in mind, that a REBOOT is required when you switch your GPU in use.

2 Likes

That’s fine, 99% of the time I only need to run the intel card anyway, My issue with optimus-manager was lack of turning off the nvidia card when the intel card was active, so…

I shall give it a shot tonight. Anyway, I shall cease threadjacking :wink:

Thank you. How can I check to make sure I have the correct nvidia driver installed. I believe I have 450 installed, but would like to check.

If the correct driver is installed, I can skip?

sudo nvidia-installer-dkms

Yes.

Okay it looks like I have 450, so I can skip

sudo nvidia-installer-dkms

btw, what does dkms stand for?

From Wikipedia,

Dynamic Kernel Module Support ( DKMS ) is a program/framework that enables generating Linux kernel modules whose sources generally reside outside the kernel source tree. The concept is to have DKMS modules automatically rebuilt when a new kernel is installed.[2]

2 Likes

How would I know if I have dkms or just nvidia-installer?

pacman -Q | grep nvidia
pacman -Q | grep nvidia
lib32-nvidia-utils 450.66-1
nvidia 450.66-16
nvidia-utils 450.66-1

If you installed the EnOS with the nVidia driver, then you have the DKMS. That is the default way that EnOS installs the nVidia driver. As stated in their wiki.

You don’t have nvidia-installer-dkms installed obviously. And your drivers are not dkms, otherwise the above command would show you:

nvidia-dkms 450.66-1

No, that method didn’t work for me, so I ended up using the arch wiki method. What is the method to uninstall my current nvidia driver and install the new one?

Is this correct

sudo pacman -R nvidia

and then

sudo pacman -S nvidia-installer-dkms

Yes, and then run the nvidia-installer-dkms as described in EndeavourOS wiki (first with -t option, if no errors then with sudo and without -t).

When you’re done with everything, check with

pacman -Q | grep nvidia

Can I move onto installing optimus-switch?

pacman -Q | grep nvidia
lib32-nvidia-utils 450.66-1
nvidia-dkms 450.66-1
nvidia-installer-db 2.4.6-1
nvidia-installer-dkms 3.3.7-1
nvidia-settings 450.66-1
nvidia-utils 450.66-1

Did you follow the directions on the Optimus Manager github page for uninstalling it?

yes

Then, what do YOU think you should do? I know you did this before on Manjaro.

When I run

uname -srm

Linux 5.8.4-arch1-1 x86_64

but I get the following when running linux584. I just updated today and it said it was 5.8.5. I tried that and it gave the same result.

sudo pacman -S linux584-headers acpi_call-dkms xorg-xrandr xf86-video-intel git
error: target not found: linux584-headers
warning: xorg-xrandr-1.5.1-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xf86-video-intel-1:2.99.917+908+g7181c5a4-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: git-2.28.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling

That’s a Manjaro package. Why would you even want to install this? You already have a kernel running.