[OPINION] Archlinux's increased popularity has adversely affected it

Well I just checked out the post: Is “Banned” a valid user name, or did the noob get banned, maybe for asking too many questions, and not enough RTFM??? :crazy_face: :laughing: :grimacing: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have found bundles of great info on the Archwiki, but man is it tough when you’re new to Linux and the command line. With all of the cross referencing it can make your head spin, and I don’t mean :crazy_face: but like the girl in The Exorcist!! Like this: :face_vomiting: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting: :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I learned it always best to take notes, otherwise you can easily get lost.

It looks like he was banned for creating multiple accounts.

Honestly, the responses to his questions seemed pretty reasonable to me.

3 Likes

You are fighting windmills, Don Quijote. Dont put too much energy into it.

4 Likes

I distro hopped, and didn’t like any of the Debian based distros, but stayed away from Arch because all I ever read was that Arch is a nightmare for noobs. Then I read Manjaro fixed that, and I installed it, but it had all kinds of problems. Not sure how, but I found Antergos and it was great, then I DE hopped for a month or two, and landed on KDE. Then Antergos went Bye bye :cry:, but I stuck around patiently waiting for EndeavourOS and been like: :grinning: :sweat_smile: :smile: :joy: :heart_eyes: :laughing: :star_struck: Ever since!

Endeavour Rocks! :guitar: :drum: :microphone: :saxophone: :musical_keyboard:

The responses were better than I expected! I’ve seen noobs get torn to shreds there in the past! Just ask “When I start Ubuntu…” and see what happens!! :grimacing:

(deleted by author)

The more users switch to linux or take linux for a spin, the better for us all. I am happy to welcome these users, who, are most likely, beyond post teenage years.
I have grandchildren who follow the hammer rule. They apply it to Windows. You know the hammer rule, right!.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

6 Likes

Thats the most successful pitch when converting people to Linux :grin:

1 Like

Ok I am a bit late to the conversation but let me get this straight the person in the Arch forum link went from windows to arch (I am assuming they installed it themselves) and you are saying this is a bad thing because he now has questions? I see this as a good thing, not a bad thing. I really like Endeavour, Garuda and other arch based distros(that use the official arch repos and not some held back thing) for the simplicity to get things up and running, but I also think people should give building their own arch distro the official arch way a shot at least once to understand your system more and to appreciate how much goes into making a distro like Endeavour for instance. To me, this guy doing so first instead of opting for something prebuilt should be applauded instead of looked down upon.

No

We all know why :hugs:

7 Likes