Openbox for the first time

thanks for the above Joe, with me having xfce, does this allow me to use openbox and xfce, or just openbox?

this will insttall needed packages additional… and openbox is unconfigured, you need to setup completely on your own it is a Window Manager you could also use inside xfce4 as window manager…

so at log in, I could log in as openbox or xfce?

on Login Manager (Desktop Manager) you can choose both xfce4 or openbox then…

thanks Joe, will give it a try

Isn’t Openbox for X11 only? I’m tired of the constant problems with desktop environments and wanted to try it, but I’ve read it doesn’t support Wayland and development is not active… so I guess it wouldn’t work too well on EOS?

WHY would you say that OB is one of the most stable WMs made it does not need any updates as it reached majority years ago. As for wayland its still a alpha project which is being over-hyped by users and developers alike.
X11 is here for years to come it works, it will still be around in the next 10 years or so.

3 Likes

Endeavour isn’t created on Wayland solely, it follows Arch, as long X11 still is supported by Arch it is supported by Endeavour as well.

Personally, I run Gnome on X11 simply because it works better than on Wayland and on X11 I can see the real colours on my display, while on Wayland there’s a strange blue filter on it, making the colours look pale.

6 Likes

ugh…just when i thought to try out Wayland again, to see if it’s better with 10 bpc monitors…
Apparently it can’t handle any monitor properly, thx for saving my time :laughing:

3 Likes

Ok, I admit I don’t know much about display protocols and about wayland. I thought Arch was using Wayland and xwayland for Xorg compatibility (like, Xorg now only exists as an “emulated” layer in Wayland…) Hearing OB’s developer say that porting it to Wayland would need a complete rewrite made me avoid it, but I was probably wrong. I guess I’ll try Openbox to replace my main Gnome desktop.

I love openbox … :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Wayland will soon be ready for production use and then we will all use it on our GNU/Hurd computers. :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to see how it will run Half-Life 3…

4 Likes

I would love a EndeavourOS version of openbox!!!

1 Like

if someone or a group from community startup creating we could do that…

I am a long time user of Openbox - I have all the configs and tweaks necessary.

You can can get a recent build of pure PacBang using pure Arch from

But Archlabs is an equally good choice - even better - in my opinion.

I would like to try the pacbang but the link seems broken
I will look into Archlabs Thanks!!

When you get “File Not Found”:
click on “Downloads” -> “Files” -> 2020.07

I could create a config for openbox, or copy steal one, but i do have other stuff on my shedule, so it would need the manpower of community members to create a config and packages list for EndeavourOS :wink:

Something like i do create for i3-wm we do use directly to integrate to ISO:
https://github.com/endeavouros-team/i3-EndeavourOS

I’m just learning Linux / Openbox and I mess things up all time, that’s why I love Endeavouros so much. Easy to fix or reinstall
I’m playing with Endeavouros in virtuialbox starting with XFCE as a base well see whats happens