Offer TDE (Trinity Desktop Environment) as another DE flavor among EndeavourOS installers' options?

Hi. Don’t want to disturb you but I became curious, decided to download RebornOS ISO. Sadly was unable to proceed with online installation with Calamares because it kept timing out on Trinity repository, kept saying something similar to “problems with downloading mirror.ppa.trinity.db” and “too slow after 10 seconds”. Tried ten times and then gave up. I don’t want to have to sign up to another forum only to report this. I have a slow Internet connection that freaks out sometimes around 2000 hours U.S.A. Eastern time and therefore this is more of a problem at my end. This is just for information.

I coudl have tried to install with a different D.E. but I had bad experiences with GNOME, could barely cope with the latest Plasma and have different niggles with the others. Also clumsy using any W.M. This is another thing that is just me. :eyes:

Again, thank you for RebornOS distro and the hard work that you guys put into it. :heart:

@mnrvovrfc

TL;DR On the app that launches the installer, click on Advanced Options, and opt to change the DNS server to Cloudflare, and re-launch the installer…

I am so sorry you tried so many times. It is recommended to try only once (then you can message for support/help) because the installer is smart and is configured to try 5-6 times already (and scrambles the top mirrors everytime to get the best shot) and that adds to the wait! Imagine you tried 10 times, that becomes 10x5=50 tries to install packages :flushed:

In the app that launches the installer on the ISO, there is a button called Advanced options. There you have the option to change the DNS server to Cloudflare (which you can do, after which you can re-launch the installer. But do not reboot as the changes on live ISO are temporary and do not stick)

1 Like

if you can Add the custom Repo to pacman.conf , and you have the packagelist of needs. you can add that toe the user packagelist, and wil install tde too :slight_smile:

same works if you do pacman -Sgq pantheon > packagelist.txt

and change lightdm-pantheon-greeter to eos-lightdm-slick-theme

it wil work too even there is no pantheon :slight_smile:
as offtopic

you have to add the packagelist.txt to the proper package list in the liveuser folder

if adding repo works you can try in VM

Maybe I’ll try again with RebornOS next month or not too long. On the second attempt it looks like the databases were read without problems but then “pacman” made two attempts to download a bunch of vital stuff and the majority of the TDE stuff. Kept stopping with inability to download “tdenetwork” package or something else when it was about to finish, and after 20 to 30 minutes. Maybe somebody with a premium Internet connection would have better luck than I did.

ROFLMAO I wanted to know if I could run Synthedit v1.1 through Wine and also remained teased about this TDE. So I’m checking out Q4OS 32-bit. The desktop does look like Windows98 which is not a bad thing for me, very nice indeed. But I ended up asking the Desktop Profiler to haul in Plasma because the latter has settings for touchpad and screen brightness, and I’m not used to the old Windoze way of doing things any longer. Yeah I started out with about 55 thousand files on the system, now it’s over 170 thousand including Wine. :open_mouth:

I could have run “xrandr” to do something about the brightness (which I had to do with Salix and Void in the past) and might have been able to “apt” in “synclient” but I didn’t like the prospect of running those two programs from terminal right after every log-in.

I hope the RebornOS version of TDE is more configurable. How it looks I don’t mind, but please permit this clumsy user, who cannot reach intermediate Linux skills no matter how hard he/she tries, to be able to use the system without struggling with eyesight and with right hand.

See how hard it is to maintain a D.E.? So if you want this for EndeavourOS you’ll just have to offer up a lot of time and effort. :v: