Nvidia-settings: ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded

Hi!

I recently had to fresh install because i managed to brick xorg (using the nvidia-installer script), and did not want to go through the hassle of fixing it.

I am running EndeavourOS with 5.9.8-arch1-1 and KDE Plasma on a Mi Notebook Pro, with an Intel Core i7-8550U and an NVIDIA GTX 1050 Max-Q.

When i launch nvidia-settings the resulting output is:

ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded

ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system

additional informations:

$ yay -Q | grep "nvidia"
lib32-nvidia-utils 455.38-1
nvidia 455.38-7
nvidia-lts 1:455.38-5
nvidia-prime 1.0-4
nvidia-settings 455.38-1
nvidia-utils 455.38-1
opencl-nvidia 455.38-1
$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
           Device-3: Chicony XiaoMi USB 2.0 Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~75Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.2.2 
$ nvidia-smi
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Does anyone have an idea about whats wrong?

Did you try installing Nvidia graphics from the Welcome app?
BTW, Welcome aboard!

Thank you!

The welcome app prompts me to use nvidia-installer which bricked my system once.
I could try again after purposely backupping the whole disk, but im no sure if ita a good idea.

look at this :slight_smile:

unless you can switch in bios, its a dual Primary is intel in your caseā€¦

mayby something for the optimus manager / prime is good

1 Like

It looks like itā€™s running on the open source driver Nouveau. Did you install the Nvidia drivers?

Edit: Youā€™ll need look at installing the Nvidia drivers and then optimus-manager.

1 Like

How did you manage to un-brick it? After all, once something becomes a brick itā€™s pretty darned brokenā€¦ and it would be the first time Iā€™ve ever heard that a graphics driver irreversibly breaks a piece of hardware. :thinking:

Yup, youā€™re running with the nouveau driver so none of the NVIDIA utilities will work.

You must have done something else which you havenā€™t mentioned - you installed ā€œfreshā€ using which option - the ā€œfreeā€ driver option"? Then what did you do?

1 Like

@Nazdu
Run the following and post the output

nvidia-installer-check 

Then run test mode on the installer and post the output

nvidia-installer-dkms -t