Nvidia-Installer Needs Dependency Adjustment

2019-08-27 01:51:06 [INFO]: EndeavourOS Nvidia Installer v2.0
2019-08-27 01:51:06 [INFO]: All logs will be stored in /tmp/nvidia-installer.log
2019-08-27 01:51:06 [INFO]: Installing bumblebee driver...
2019-08-27 01:51:06 [INFO]: Removing conflicting packages...
2019-08-27 01:51:06 [INFO]: Downloading and installing driver packages, please wait...
2019-08-27 01:51:07 [ERROR]: Cannot install required packages: :: Synchronizing package databases...
downloading testing.db...
warning: bumblebee-3.2.1-20 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: mesa-19.1.5-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xf86-video-intel-1:2.99.917+870+g6f4972d5-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: virtualgl-2.6.2-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: nvidia-settings-430.40-3 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: lib32-nvidia-utils-430.40-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: lib32-virtualgl-2.6.2-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: lib32-mesa-19.1.5-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 endeavouros is up to date
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: bbswitch and bbswitch-dkms are in conflict. Remove bbswitch-dkms? [y/N] error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)

:: bbswitch and bbswitch-dkms are in conflict

EOS is no stranger to dkms, take broadcom-wl-dkms for example.

nvidia and nvidia-dkms also conflict. For posterity reasons, both nvidia-dkms and bbswitch-dkms should be the new default.

@joekamprad @fernandomaroto

1 Like

Yeah if you only use linux kernel non dkms is fine sure :slight_smile: dkms is importanf if you also use lts

2 Likes

Making the switch has no adverse effect on latest vanilla “linux” users, and has the added benefit of making life easier for everyone else. :slightly_smiling_face:

At least think about it (please). :pleading_face:

For dkms pack need headerd and dkms for sure, would bebhabdsome sure. If yiu could easily switch from current kernel and lts.

@manuel is checking this… We’re having some brainstorming about it yet so please be patient :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t forget that not all of us have laptops and use optimus and bumblebee. Some of us have higher end Nvidia desktop video cards and we need to be able to boot the live usb and also install Nvidia proprietary drivers.

No rush, take it easy! :egg:

1 Like

I don’t follow.

nvidia-installer has a nonissue conflict. nvidia, bbswitch; and nvidia-dkms, bbswitch-dkms are indistinguishable to users, in terms of performance. -dkms counterparts have an added bonus, which is supporting every kernel, mainline and custom.

Perhaps I did a poor job detailing the issue. Sorry about the confusion. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

dkms is also a more stable choice for main kernel, as it will rebuild modules every time kernel is updated, so if stuff like nvidia driver are not updated at the same time the dkms version will work the not dkms version will fail to boot!

2 Likes

I’m not sure what the fuss is about this? I use dkms on my nvidia and also on my broadcom wireless. I think a simple wiki explaining which one should be used under which circumstances should suffice.

We are talking here about nividia-installer.
And it do not include an option to take dkms versions for Nvidia/bumblebee

Discussion is about may changing it to make this available inside the package or providing two one with dkms drivers and one without

2 Likes

Thank you!