Nvidia installer leaves me with a black screen

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Dumb question: So, if I install both Nvidia drivers (mainline and LTS) and have both kernels installed (mainline and LTS), if I boot the LTS kernel, the LTS Nvidia drivers get loaded and if I boot the mainline Linux kernel, the mainline Nvidia drivers get loaded?

Even with a rolling distro, I’d like to build in a bit of stability. Unless it’s needed for something, I prefer LTS kernels and LTS Nvidia drivers. But I see what you’re saying… guess I’ll nuke the mainline kernel and drivers and roll with LTS.

… unless there’s some pressing reason I should really use mainline kernel and mainline Nvidia drivers? :slight_smile:

a second kernel is also a possible bootable option if there is something wrong with the other one :wink:

1 Like

Hahahaha… figures.

There a way to set some sort of limit so that I always have…say… 4 of the latest kernels and always the LTS one? Example:

Kernel v1.1
Kernel v1.2
Kernel v1.3
Kernel v1.4
Kernel v1 LTS

…days later:

Kernel v1.5
Kernel v1.6
Kernel v1.7
Kernel v1.8
Kernel v1 LTS

(All the other versions are swept away yet I still retain the LTS Kernel)

boy… it is a rolling release holding back the kernel will lead to issues you do not want… there are packages needs to be build against running kernel… if you want something like this install linux-hardened is also in extra (and also linux-hardened-headers) so you will have 3 different kernels to choose from…

2 Likes

That scared me :slight_smile: … I’ll bow to your Linux knowledge and stick with the mainline kernel.

This issue found me as I updated the drivers and this solution worked for me:

As soon as I installed the bumblebee drivers, I blacklisted noveau, disabled bumblebee and restarted. Afterwards, I set up Optimus and everything is working as it should (so far).