Nvidia installer leaves me with a black screen

Case of don’t fix if not broken?

System ran fine (not gaming in Linux) on the Nouveau drivers. Still choose to run the nvidia installer and well… borked.

Black screen with a frozen cursor at the top after the "clean… " message.

Tried the 390 drivers too (shouldn’t have to, 430 works in Windows) same result.

Now I just want to put Nouveau back. How?

When in doubt, check the wiki. Either the Arch wiki or the Endeavour wiki.

Here is one wiki entry from Joe in the Endeavor wiki on Nvidia drivers.

Here is another wiki entry from Bryan in the Endeavor wiki on Nouveau.

Pudge
I try to think but nothing happens.

So.
What I should do is run sudo nvidia-installer -b

OR follow the Nouveau instructions. I might just do that instead.
Do I need to manually uninstall the nvidia drivers?

Are you on a nvidia only system or do you have optimus hybrid graphics?
J.

Hybrid. Never used optimus tho, bumblebee tends to be easier to install and since I don’t game…

You can also enter this command

sudo nvidia-installer -n

Then the nvidia-installer will revert back to Nouveau.

1 Like

Yeah. Have a few things to try when I get home.
Really frustrated now because alone at work, nothing to do (vacation times but someone’s got to man helpdesk) and just want home to play with this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Buenas tardes,
yo tenia el mismo problema en portatil con intel + nvidia. Lo que hice:

sudo pacman -Syu

instalar:

sudo pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils nvidia-settings opencl-nvidia

si tienes sddm (kde) copia en el archivo: /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup
xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --auto

reinicias y listo.

En xfce4 ami no me funciono pero puedes probar creando el archivo adecuado. mira en arch.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

@ carlidov

Tack,

det där kan komma väl till pass då jag har en ny gaming rig som jag ska ta i tu med nästa vecka som har ett Nvidiakort, iofs tror jag att jag ska köra vaniljarch på den, men vi får se, och det är hur som helst ingen skillnad.

Det är en himla tur att jag kan läsa spanska tämligen obehindrat. Hur är det med din svenska? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Muchas Gracias!

1 Like

The pure nvidia driver will not work with hybrid graphics, as the computer will use the intel auxilliary graphics by default. You’d need Bumblebee instead of the pure Nvidia driver.
J.

1 Like

Even though I’ve been using Linux for a few years, I’d still consider myself a newbie so feel free to ignore what I’m about to type.

My PC has built in Intel gfx and I’m using an ancient, Nvidia GTX 670. With Antergos, I had this weird problem using the latest NVidia drivers on my system with the LTS kernel installed. 430 drivers and latest kernel, no problem. 430 drivers and LTS kernel, black screen at startup.

I asked about it on the Antergos forum and was told to switch to the DKMS version of the 430 drivers. After that, everything was working perfectly with the LTS kernel.

Now, this might not apply to your situation at all, just tossing it out there.

Manually uninstalling the 390xx drivers then running invidia-installer -b worked, It still showed me the black screen with a cursor for a second, just enough for me to go “damn” and then it booted into lightDM.

Have you also checked if it works with the nvidia-lts driver, just to rule out that it isn’t a bug in the Nvidia-dkms driver. The dkms driver was flagged out of date for a week and today the new dkms driver was released, so I can’t make up from your post if you already are running that one.

It was a fresh install of the stable version of Endeavour last night. Right after i got it up and running, I installed the LTS kernel then the DKMS version of the 430 driver.

Tonight, I’ll trash my install (no biggie… bare metal test machine) and put the LTS kernel and LTS Nvidia driver on there and report back. (I typically run the LTS kernel on my Linux boxes. I like cutting edge software, just not BLEEDING edge :slight_smile:

Hola,
si solo quieres usar nvidia puedes instalar los drivers propietarios, asi lo tengo yo funcionando.:guiño:

Well that didn’t go so well.

I did a fresh install of EOS. Then carried out the following commands:
pacman -Syu
yay linux lts (I installed the LTS kernel)
yay nvidia lts (I installed the 430 LTS nvidia driver)
Reboot

Now, just a black screen. No matter which key combo I use (CTRL-ALT-F__)… I can’t get to a terminal. I booted from the EOS boot thumb drive and see this error in x.org

Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices

Guess that means the video driver isn’t installed?

Off to Google up, ‘rescuing dead arch system’ :slight_smile:

Hmmmm… wonder if I should re-do those steps and before I reboot, install that Grub-Customizer and point it to the LTS kernel?!?

Just asking, did you boot with LTS kernel (because seems you have the vanilla and the LTS installed)

you can try adding nvidia.modeset=0 to linux parameter at grub too, just to see if it boots.

If so then you can uninstall nvidia, or add an entry to grub to keep booting while you try to find what’s wrong.

Same result, black screen when using the modeset boot parameter.

I forgot to install the Grub-Customizer and select LTS kernel before rebooting. I’m sure it’s trying to boot latest kernel with the LTS nvidia driver.

Never mind, I fixed it!! :slight_smile:

I used ‘nomodeset’ and was able to finally get into a terminal. From there, I removed the LTS Nvidia driver and rebooted. I then installed the Grub Customizer… re-installed the LTS NVidia driver and used GC to switch my kernel to LTS and I’m back up and running!

I think that is the first time in my life I recused a dead Linux system. Usually, I just wipe and re-install.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

3 Likes

you can have them both installed nvidia-lts + nvidia driver, they coexist and you would be able to boot from both kernels, but if you do not use mainline kernel you can also uninstall it, so it can only boot to LTS kernel…
And there is also nvidia-dkms what is building nvidia modules against every installed kernel on every kernel update… most secure variant in my point of view… (o.k. if the package is not updated and do not work it can still fail ) about Dynamic Kernel Module Support