Nvidia GPU never turns off (PRIME)

Hello,

after a lot of efforts, i finally was able to install the nvidia drivers and making them work (i can now play steam games on dgpu) on wayland
But now the dGpu won’t ever shut down. As the arch wiki states, i have created the config files:

/etc/udev/rules.d/80-nvidia-pm.rules

# Enable runtime PM for NVIDIA VGA/3D controller devices on driver bind
ACTION=="bind", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x030000", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="auto"
ACTION=="bind", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x030200", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="auto"

# Disable runtime PM for NVIDIA VGA/3D controller devices on driver unbind
ACTION=="unbind", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x030000", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="unbind", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x030200", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"/etc/udev/rules.d/80-nvidia-pm.rules
# Enable runtime PM for NVIDIA VGA/3D controller devices on driver bind
ACTION=="bind", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x030000", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="auto"
ACTION=="bind", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x030200", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="auto"

# Disable runtime PM for NVIDIA VGA/3D controller devices on driver unbind
ACTION=="unbind", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x030000", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="unbind", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x030200", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-pm.conf

options nvidia "NVreg_DynamicPowerManagement=0x02"

even though the wiki says it should work by default.
Anyway, this is the result of nvidia-smi when “nothing” is running on my dgpu:

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 550.76                 Driver Version: 550.76         CUDA Version: 12.4     |
|-----------------------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name                 Persistence-M | Bus-Id          Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp   Perf          Pwr:Usage/Cap |           Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                                         |                        |               MIG M. |
|=========================================+========================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 ...    On  |   00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| N/A   49C    P8              4W /   35W |       9MiB /   4096MiB |      0%      Default |
|                                         |                        |                  N/A |
+-----------------------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                                              |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                              GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                               Usage      |
|=========================================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A       863      G   /usr/lib/Xorg                                   4MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      1136      G   /usr/bin/ksmserver                              1MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      1363      G   /usr/bin/kaccess                                1MiB |

These are the packages i have installed:

> sudo pacman -Q | grep nvidia
lib32-nvidia-utils 550.76-1
nvidia 550.76-3
nvidia-prime 1.0-4
nvidia-utils 550.76-3

Hardware information: https://0x0.st/XX1y.txt

Arch wiki suggests that something is polling the gpu asking for temperature, though i have no programs that i know about that are polling the gpu, and i don’t know how i should be able to check if something is doing this.
The three processes running on the gpu also look suspicious, maybe kde for some reason finds the video driver already loaded and offloads these processes to the gpu. Is it normal to have them there?
The power management works perfectly fine on windows, so this is not a hardware problem.

Another problem i am facing is that video decoding doesn’t seem to be working correctly.
When i run vlc under dGpu there is heavy tearing and the video seems to be cut diagonally, and when i try to put a fullscren video on youtube, firefox crashes, to which the workaround was to disable hardware acceleration. For the stuttering problem, i have tried enabling and disabling vrr on kde settings, to no avail.

Hi, and welcome to EnOS community :enos_flag:

Any specific reason why you are using obsolete intel driver for your Tiger Lake iGPU? You should be using modesetting instead. Please, remove xf86-video-intel package and reboot.

I’m pretty sure that many of the Optimus features (including dynamic power management) are not supported in combination with this old driver.

In the meantime for NVIDIA, what is the output of

modprobe -c | grep "options nvidia"

and

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/gpus/*/power

For video decoding on hybrid setups it’s usually Intel’s iGPUs that are used for processing, but if you want your dGPU to do the decoding, make sure you have installed libva-nvidia-driver for VAAPI decoding on NVIDIA.

1 Like

Seems that xf86-video-intel was the culprit for that behaviour. Now the dGpu turns off correctly. I found that listed here and, as i didn’t know what modesetting was, i assumed xf86-video-intel was what i needed. Thank you!

About video decoding, i would prefer for the iGpu to do that. Right now if i open a video on youtube with fullscreen it will crash firefox immediately (if hardware acceleration is activated), and vlc videos have severe stuttering. I have tried to run vlc on the igpu unsuccessfully, as it still tries to call the nvidia libraries.
None of this behaviour was there before i installed the nvidia drivers. Also, after some testing, these problems don’t even appear to be something happening all the time - right now i played a video on vlc and it was perfectly working even though it was still reported avcodec decoder: Using NVIDIA VDPAU Driver Shared Library 550.76 Wed Apr 10 20:04:48 UTC 2024 for hardware decoding

I am right now trying x11 and it is glitching a lot. This is what i see. Many other KDE components seem to be janky like this, settings for example. Web browser runs fine. Steam won’t even run on x11, leaving no error message. The heavy stuttering problem seems to be solved here though.

It seems that my stuttering problems came from incorrectly assuming that https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA#DRM_kernel_mode_setting was not necessary.
Now i have no more graphical errors under wayland.

Yeah, wayland needs nvidia drm modeset to function properly.

For video decoding on iGPU make sure that you have installed intel-media-driver package and check the output of vainfo command.

My guess is that VLC falls back to Nvidia VDPAU because it can not find VAAPI decoders. To force VLC to use VAAPI select OpenGL video output in settings

For Firefox, open about:support in new tab, and check if hw acceleration is used

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.