Nvidia driver stop working after recent system update

Hello

As the title says. My system’s nvidia graphics card driver stopped working after a recent update.

Until yesterday, the driver had no problems and both the driver and optimus-manager were working without problems. But today, after the system update sudo pacman -Syu , which caused the linux-lts and linux-lts-headers update, both graphic driver and optimus-manager stopped working.

To install the operating system, I used the EndeavorOS with nvidia driver option, and then I downloaded and installed the nvidia 470.161.03 graphic card driver from the nvidia website.

As for optimus-manager, I followed this guide to install optimus-manager

I’ve been searching for a solution for the last 5 hour and got no luck. so here I am. It’ll be great if you could help me, cause at this moment the only solution that I can think of is to reinstall the OS and everything.

Output of nvidia-smi and etc.

$ nvidia-smi:
  NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.
$ nvidia-settings:
   ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded
   ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system
$ inxi -G:
  Graphics:
      Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel
      Device-2: NVIDIA GK208BM [GeForce 920M] driver: N/A
      Device-3: Bison EasyCamera type: USB driver: uvcvideo
      Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: intel
          unloaded: modesetting dri: i965 gpu: i915 resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
      API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.6 renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2)

neofetch:

Thanks in advance.

Manually installed nvidia drivers are a pain to manage. They will often break with kernel updates. This is not the best way to access the nvidia drivers.

I would recommend removing those drivers and instead using nvidia-470xx-dkms from the AUR.

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for the response

In that case, there are 2 question:

The first one is that, How should I uninstall a menually installed driver? dose sudo pacman -Rsn do the job? I’m kind of a newbie

as for the secund one, Do I need to install other packages such as opencl-nvidia-470xx, nvidia-470xx-settings and lib32 or just nvidia-470xx-dkms??

You have to do it…manually. Did the driver include an uninstaller? P.S. This is why you shouldn’t install things manually. Always use pacman.

No, pacman can only remove software it installed.

nvidia-470xx-dkms is the minimum you need. If you need 32-bit support, you can add the lib32 package.

2 Likes

All of them.I would recommend you to use downgrade to install an older version of nvidia-dkms, nvidia-utils, nvidia-settings and lib32-nvidia-utils.

Certainly not with pacman. Run “–help” on the downloaded driver, you should find instructions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.