Nvidia 495 "supported"

xorg is coredumping i would bet this is related to Nvidia Drivers

But mine is working?

Edit: Other user is on KDE?

yes for you it is working but it should not happen :wink:

2021-11-03_00-31

2021-11-03_00-32

This is what i can’t understand as i have same card exactly except it’s a different vendor. Maybe firmware plays a role?

Edit:

[ricklinux@eos-xfce ~]$ inxi -Ga
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel CometLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: i915
           v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:3e92 class-ID: 0300
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia
           v: 495.44 alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1b83
           class-ID: 0300
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 compositor: xfwm4 v: 4.16.1 driver: loaded: nvidia
           display-ID: :0.0 screens: 1
           Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1080 s-dpi: 101 s-size: 483x272mm (19.0x10.7")
           s-diag: 554mm (21.8")
           Monitor-1: DVI-D-0 res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 102 size: 477x268mm (18.8x10.6")
           diag: 547mm (21.5")
           OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 495.44
           direct render: Yes
[ricklinux@eos-xfce ~]$ 

Edit2: I have no additional configurations set in default grub or mkinitcpio.conf

dmesg log

https://clbin.com/tXbiG

Edit3: Also my install is with one of the latest dev ISO and using slick greeter! :wink:

Edit4: Xorg logs

https://clbin.com/Ibjmr

Edit5:

[ricklinux@eos-xfce ~]$ nvidia-driver-supported-branches -a
NVIDIA card id: 1b83
Series 495: supported
Series 470: supported
Series 390: supported
Series 340: not supported
[ricklinux@eos-xfce ~]$ 

yes i was thinking about i have removed xf86-video-vesa and xf86-video-fbdev from install list…
You will see that in inxi -G output where it shows vesa and fbdev as unloaded if they are installed…
Or of cause pacman -Qs xf86-video

They could cause issues…

In the OP inxi -GA command it shows them as unloaded though.

Edit: They are explicitly installed on my system.

so if you have them installed they should not cause the issue ;(
But you do not need them…

It would be interesting to know how many users with nvidia cards had problems and can’t boot with the 495.xx drivers? Not anyone with cards that are the 700 series and older but newer than legacy.

Using 970 495 works great.

1 Like

I’ve basically the same configuration that the OP, Nvidia 1060 6Gb and currently running KDE with latest driver (495) without any issue. I just upgraded from yay when they where present. No special configuration done except the usual enhancement tips but they where done way before upgrading. Tonight when I come home I can send you more info about my system if you want. (Also for KDE specifically I noticed that they work better actually than 470)

2 Likes

I think I’m one of the only ones with these issues or it’s just a small percentage of users

Maybe some other software is causing this problem?
Do you have much AUR software installed?

pacman -Qm | eos-sendlog

One idea is to install another EndeavourOS dual-booting with the current one and see if that causes any issues. Or simply reinstall.
But before you do so, make sure you have a working backup of your personal data.

EDIT: BTW, you have both nouveau and nvidia-dkms installed. Only one of them is needed. But installing nvidia-dkms should blacklist nouveau.

and keeping in mind that it is true what @jonathon mentioned before:
if= using modules to be integrated into initramfs (aka have them in mkinitcpio.conf) you will need to rebuild the initramfs images each time you change the Nvidia driver versions, this should be done automatically but could be that it do not that on your system.

So when changing from 470xx to 495xx and you do not rebuild initramfs (mkinitcpio -P) you will have the 470xx modules inside the kernel image.

Check if hook are not screwed:
ls /etc/pacman.d/hooks/ | eos-sendlog

I added the log as an picture I hope you can get the URL from that since I don’t find it

IMG_20211103_122256

I also ran mkinitcpio -P and checked that I am on 495xx version

I doubt that any software is causing it because its a relatively fresh system and I dont have that much installed.
Also I ran nouveau version I uninstalled the AUR version after I created this thread.

the log from pacman -Qm | eos-sendlog
https://clbin.com/GpIiR

I have read this from top to bottom i think you have been running around like a blind man trying this and that without changing back to default after it does not work, the thing is users that are trying to help can not see what you have done, i bet you copy/pasted those terminal commands not good as a syntex can change or they could of given the wrong command,

But the ailness is on to the user Garuda is not for newbies to arch Linux. nouveau open source drivers they are needed if nvidia if you uninstall nvidia in terminal sudo pacman -S nvidia or sudo pacman -S nvidia-dkms nvidia-utils installs the latest nvidia and lists the optional deps rebuilds intrams. nvidia settings is a additional package you should not need any more,

But yes their are buts sometimes the gods need a simple xorg.conf.d file to boot the desktop see wiki
go from 470 to 495 you remove 470 everything reboot to the free driver that unloads the 470 driver other wise the 495 will not install correctly then install 495 reboot i did this in reverse.
As its a newish install it may be best to reinstall using the free driver then install the latest driver

I totally get what you mean
I know im still a total noob about Linux and that noone can actually see what I am doing and so on.

But anyway thats why I am here since I cannot solve to problem myself and I dont want to reinstall my OS every time I get a error and cannot fix it myself.

And yes I deleted the 470xx drivers and went back to the nouveau drivers now I installed the 495xx drivers and cannot boot.
So what would you suggest now
Im going to try to describe from which driver versions I came and which driver version I am on now.

495xx → Cannot boot anymore → AUR 470xx → 495xx → nouveau → 495xx
Inbetween these steps I always rebooted the system
the only 2 Drivers I could get into my system where the 470xx and the open source nouveau driver.

Now my question is what packages are unnecessary so that I can remove them.
I also still get nouveau as an alternative with inxi -Ga could that be a problem?

Otherwise I will probably try to setup a dual boot or reinstall my endeavourOS but first I need to make a backup then

having xf86-video-nouveau installed could be an issue… but should not… but if 470xx is installed xf86-video-nouveau is not needed.
You can also uninstall xf86-video-vesa and xf86-video-fbdev if running 470xx 495xx nvidia drivers.

And i need to get the boot log while the 495xx driver is installed to see what is going wrong with it.
Without that it is only digging in the dark :wink:

1 Like

Okay i will uninstalled all the nouveau things you mentioned

Could you give me the command for the boot log again so I can hand you the log? :slight_smile:

current boot:
journalctl -b -0 | eos-sendlog
the boot before:
journalctl -b -1 | eos-sendlog