Nouveau 3D Accelerator Driver

I have a fresh install and using the default Nouveau driver. Today I found in the repositories a Nouveau 3d accelerator driver. Has anyone installed this driver and is it safe to install? Also is it worth even installing? Thank you ahead of time.

System Specs
XFCE Version XFCE 4.16
CPU Intel@ Core I7-770 CPU @ 3.60 Ghz x8
Memory 16 Gib
Video Card Geforce 1060
GPU GPU NV136 (3.0 Gib)

before was it 2d? :slight_smile:

Is this an Xorg driver?

I guess he is talking about

aur/xf86-video-nouveau-git 1.0.16+0+gec2b45d-2 (+3 0.00) 
    Open Source 3D acceleration driver for nVidia cards

Yes that is the driver. I found it in the repositories and just wanted to know if it works and safe to install. I gave up in Nvidia drivers after the last update which stopped the system from booting into the DE and gave me a black screen.

aur/xf86-video-nouveau-git 1.0.16+0+gec2b45d-2 (+3 0.00) 
extra/xf86-video-nouveau 1.0.17-1 (92.5 KiB 222.8 KiB) [xorg-drivers] 

this is only the git version of the driver already in use.

Okay Thanks Joe. I just wanted to know before I attempted to install it. I really like Endeavor OS and the only problem I ever have had with it was not the fault of the OS. I am slowly converting people into using Endeavor.

Might be a good idea to open a new thread with some information (kernel, graphics card …) , so we can have a look on if and how to get the proprietary driver running on your system. There have been some issues lately with new kernels and proprietary Nvidia driver. Some (a lot) of them are resolved.

1 Like