No wifi on newest iso

When I grabbed tge newest iso it won’t even let me see any wifi connections. I know the first iso this work fine. And my wifi seems to work fine post the install from the first iso. But I wanted to nuke and pave from the new iso

My wifi card is a broadcom
Tl;dr wifi none exsistant on new iso

Welcome @Siva_Machina When you run the live ISO are you not able to see any WiFi connection before the install? With broadcom it is best to use the dkms version. Are you able to use ethernet to get it installed?

sudo pacman -S broadcom-wl-dkms

You also have to install linux headers

sudo pacman -S linux-headers

1 Like

It doesn’t work in the live iso. I have not tried to install it yet…Because I didn’t have access to ethernet last night.

But it is strange the first iso the wifi worked fine out of the box even in the live iso.

It’s working for me with the broadcom-wl out of the box but i usually install the dkms version. What version is your broadcom chip? Mine is a BCM4360 Rev 03

Are you currently using it on WiFI? Which driver is installed broadcom-wl?

You can see you WIFI chip with.
lspci

This is kind of the nature with Broadcom that’s why the dkms version is better to use all around so updates don’t bork it.

If you do install it via Ethernet then i suggest installing linux-headers and then installing broadcom-wl-dkms and you should have wireless after a reboot show up.
linux-headers is for the current kernel and if you were using the lts kernel then you would require linux-lts-headers for the broadcom dkms to work when booting up on the lts kernel.

no internet needed for installation, as it is a offline installer :wink:
as we do already have broadcom-dkms active on the latest ISO.
may provide a log will be helpful for devs to get the cause of the issue…
you could copy the log to an usb stick or connect via usb tethering and smartphone.

• show bootlog inside editor:
journalctl -b -0 > log && leafpad log
  • upload log and show url to the pastebin:
journalctl -b -0 | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io
1 Like

Does it automatically install Broadcom dkms because I didn’t find that it did that on mine with the new ISO? I have the BCM4360 and it it had the normal broadcom-wl installed. Is it on the welcome screen and I have to select it? I didn’t notice as I wasn’t paying much attention to it.

It is installed be default on ISO and installed system:

$ pacman -Qs broadcom
local/broadcom-wl-dkms 6.30.223.271-20
    Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver

I did the net install of Cinnamon and i have the BCM4360 Broadcom. It did not automatically install the dkms version unless I’m missing something here?

[rick@endeavour-pc ~]$ sudo pacman -Ss broadcom
[sudo] password for rick: 
community/broadcom-wl 6.30.223.271-132 [installed]
community/broadcom-wl-dkms 6.30.223.271-20
[rick@endeavour-pc ~]$ 

Is it just on the offline installer at the moment?

sure yes only for the offline installer, packagelists for netinstall are not ready yet.

1 Like

So I got around to installing from the newest iso. My wifi card not being detected was only an issue on the live iso. Post install was fine. I did not have to do anything to get my wifi card to work post install.

1 Like