No tray icons in status bar after installing optimus-manager on hybrid laptop

Hi. I just managed to make my nvidia K620M dGPU work in a hybrid lenovo W550s laptop, by using optimus-manager, on a lightdm i3WM Endeavour OS installation with Linux 5.10.25-1-lts kernel
After doing that, I found 2 problems:

1. no backlight control (solved by installing xcalib package and binding its commands to the backlight keys on i3 config)
    2)no tray icons (I use some software that has tray icons, like Nextcloud, CopyQ, Network Manager, Flameshot, and, optimus-manager-qt, but none of these icons appear on the status bar after I installed optimus-manager. I do get notifications though.

any ideas?
thanks!

If you are using default EndeavourOS-i3 config:

This is the setting for tray-icons on the bar.

And we do use dex:

what should take autostarting apps from /etc/xdg/autostart/ and ~/.config/autostart/
If you do not use dex because you have another DE installed aside, you will need to add tray icon command for apps you want to show up there to autostarting with i3 config.

@joekamprad is it possible that he need to install the tray notification manager (don’t know how it is called) from xfce?

I installed gnome then i3wm and can see tray icons including my nexcloud.

I do have those two lines in my config/i3/config file
When I boot system with intel integrated graphics, I do get tray icons
When I boot system with nvidia dedicated graphicos, I don’t get any tray icons.

it worked before installing optimus-manager, so, rather than thinking I need a new package, I suppose it is a configuration thing. But don’t really know.
Anyway, I do have notifications, so I’m not sure a notification manager is what I need? I searched for the package you a re talking about but don’t really know which one it is.

that’s odd …

notifications are done with dunst per default on Eos-I3.
But notification and tray are independent.

it could be that you have no primary display set when using Nvidia?
https://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_tray_output
you could use tray_output HDMI2 wher eyou define your display name you can get with xrandr
GPU switch could change NAME of display also.

1 Like

you got it
my solution was:
xrandr --output <output> --primary
specifically, in mi case:
xrandr --output eDP-1-1 --primary

thanks!

2 Likes