No secrets were provided

Hello,

As for a few hours, I have been getting this pop up mesage in my tray,

Wireless Interface (wlan0)
No secrets were provided

I have been on EOS for a while now, this is the first time I’ve seen this.
Should I be worried?

Cheers

Edit: Also, my wired connection is no longer detected, I don’t know if it is related, I did not noticed untill I went back to my desk and plugged it. I booted with the EOS usb, and network was detected, so I guess I got one of those updates.

using xfce?

Network-manager-applet does need libsecret. but are you also using gnome-keyring?

did you installed something before ?

1 Like

Using Kde; last night, I got and updated ‘welcome EOS’, and I saw a button, ‘problem with your wired connection?’, I used that and it fixed it, just like that, beautiful.

I see I got archlinux-keyring and endeavouros-keyring installed, but not gnome-keyring, and also, Kwallet and Kwallet manager, but I haven’t got an issue with those yet, not that I can see.

Also I have not seen the ‘no secrets were provided’ message again, so maybe is was related. I will keep it running and I will keep this thread updated for whetever happens.

Laters.

Edit: most of the programs I use are either flatpaks or snaps; I am using Tixati (for torrents), rclone-browser, and pamac, from the AUR; I set up the Herecura repo to get Vivaldi browser snapshot and vivaldi mmpeg stuff.

I got rclone, gimp, nomacs, konqueror, lollypop, mpv, wine, from the repos, thats it. I was about to install lutris and steam, but I will hold on for a while.

./sssso-                --------------- 
                 `:osssssss+-              OS: EndeavourOS Linux x86_64 
               `:+sssssssssso/.            Host: Inspiron 5570 
             `-/ossssssssssssso/.          Kernel: 5.8.11-arch1-1 
           `-/+sssssssssssssssso+:`        Uptime: 33 mins 
         `-:/+sssssssssssssssssso+/.       Packages: 1052 (pacman), 21 (flatpak), 10 (snap) 
       `.://osssssssssssssssssssso++-      Shell: bash 5.0.18 
      .://+ssssssssssssssssssssssso++:     Resolution: 1920x1080 
    .:///ossssssssssssssssssssssssso++:    DE: Plasma 5.19.5 
  `:////ssssssssssssssssssssssssssso+++.   WM: KWin 
`-////+ssssssssssssssssssssssssssso++++-   WM Theme: Oxygen 
 `..-+oosssssssssssssssssssssssso+++++/`   Theme: Breeze Dark [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3] 
   ./++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++/:.     Icons: Flatery [Plasma], Flatery [GTK2/3] 
  `:::::::::::::::::::::::::------``       Terminal: konsole 
                                           CPU: Intel i5-8250U (8) @ 3.400GHz 
                                           GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620 
                                           GPU: AMD ATI Radeon R7 M260/M265 / M340/M360 / M440/M445 / 530/535 / 620/625 Mobile 
                                           Memory: 2137MiB / 7854MiB

in that case you using kwallet , gnome)keyring is something of gnome to save passwords… but kde is kwallet

And snap packages does use apparmor;

further i dont know where to dig :slight_smile:

1 Like

This can happen when the kernel gets an update and you try to toggle your wifi connection (i.e. unload and reload the module). It’s similar to other things “breaking” due to a kernel update which is resolved by booting into the updated kernel.

1 Like

It is all normal then, I just did not noticed it untill now,

Thx.

1 Like

Not sure if this is related, but I was facing problems with gnome keyring and passwords stored for vpn access, and nas folders in thunar.
I had to tick the option below:

Without ticking this, the service gnome-keyring-daemon was disappearing a few minutes after boot.

[marcelo@linux ~]$ ps aux | grep key

marcelo 783 0.0 0.0 384492 9600 ? Sl 18:34 0:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login

By the way, using xfce here, so probably not related, but may be useful to other users…

1 Like

Yes, if you’re using Xfce but want to use GNOME services for things like keyring support then you’ll have to tick that box to start GNOME services when starting Xfce.

1 Like